Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Photography and Media
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level
Default Lens. which ones ?

Which lens does every one use or find works well with group photos, people and cars something wide but still can zoom a little.

Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS USM i was thinking somthing along those lines or
There is also a cheaper version Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD
Aspherical (IF) with DA09 lens hood.

I was shooting a group of people on sunday and found that my 50mm 1.8 was great for 1 2 or 3, maybe 4 people but when inside its to close and i cant get bigger groups of people all in the shot.
so need somthing a bit wider,

Though i dont need it to go to high as iv just got my 70-200 F4/ L ordered should be here friday.

any ideas ? thanks
Old 21-02-2007, 07:42 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

krazcool at standard level

I was having the same problem on the weekend as well. Was using a 50mm 1.4 and a few times I wish I had something smaller than a 50mm. Couldn't get far enough for a few shoots. I was thinking about getting another prime lens. The Canon EF 28mm F1.8 USM looks nice.

On another topic NVRENUF, the lowepro SlingShot pro bag you had on sale the other day. I was looking at that one. But the one thing that made me hesitate in getting it was because it looks like there was a lot of space on the side of the camera body. Looks like when the bag is on your back, the attached lens will be holding up the weight of the camera body. Do you find that is a problem with that bag? Apart from that little issue it does look like a pretty cool bag
Old 21-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

Yeah i wan get something that can zoom a little rather than prime and just use 50m prime for when i need it.

the bag is wicked iv decided to keep it fits all my stuff in great. i now have a larger flash the 580 speedlite and 70-200 f4 lens and all fits. the weight of the camera on the lens is nothing specially considering u can tripod most big lens and holds the weight of the camera. so not an issue at all

cheers

tim
Old 21-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

I am going to duty free today and going to check out some macro lenses.. Time for some close up work. If I could get something like a 17-28 macro, I think it would be able to do group photos as well as closeup.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:38 AM
STI Master

methd at standard level
Send a message via MSN to methd

the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS USM is known for sucking in dust... might be a problem. it's an average lens for the supposed quality... maybe look at something else.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:40 AM
STI Master

methd at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682
I am going to duty free today and going to check out some macro lenses.. Time for some close up work. If I could get something like a 17-28 macro, I think it would be able to do group photos as well as closeup.

how do u do a group photo close up?

all macros do is allow u to focus in at closer distances to the subject.

the top end macros allow tiny apertures (f/40 ish) so that there's a deep dof.
Old 21-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by methd
how do u do a group photo close up?

all macros do is allow u to focus in at closer distances to the subject.

the top end macros allow tiny apertures (f/40 ish) so that there's a deep dof.

Sorry, I should have explained more

If I look at a 20-35 f/3.5 or a 28-105 f/3.5 it has a macro function on it for the closeups but also is a telephoto for ultra wide angles, like 95deg.
Old 21-02-2007, 11:57 AM
STI Master

methd at standard level

hey dan,

teles on macros is only better for longer working distance. again, the macro feature just means that the lens will focus at a shorter distance and has nothing to do with how wide or how much tele a lens has. for macros with a zoom inbuilt, it's the same principle.

teles implies longer focal distances, which also means it has less wideness in the lens.

perhaps you'r trying to say that a zoom with a macro gives you both options

some definitions (what i think)

wide - implies wide field of view.. greater horizontal coverage.. usually around 12-24mm

tele - implies narrow field of fiew, used to capture objects from far away... usually around 200mm and greater

macro function - allows the lens (be it either wide or tele) to focus on the object at a much closer distance than otherwise allowed.

zoom - a lens that can change focal distances, usually by turning the dial. ie: 17-55mm 'zoom' coverage.

macros on wide lenses are useless as u'r too close to the object and they will usually run/fy away, or the lens is virtually bumping the object. 105mm or thereabout is a good working distance, although more is better i reckon (especially if you're shooting spiders!)
Old 21-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Flat Four Father

FFOUR at standard level

methd, which Canon lens' would you suggest for landscape photography? Its something I want to get into a bit more.....cars are getting boring!

P.S. I don't want to spend $1500+!!

MY05 STI track car | VF Clubsport
Old 21-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by methd
hey dan,

teles on macros is only better for longer working distance. again, the macro feature just means that the lens will focus at a shorter distance and has nothing to do with how wide or how much tele a lens has. for macros with a zoom inbuilt, it's the same principle.

teles implies longer focal distances, which also means it has less wideness in the lens.

perhaps you'r trying to say that a zoom with a macro gives you both options

some definitions (what i think)

wide - implies wide field of view.. greater horizontal coverage.. usually around 12-24mm

tele - implies narrow field of fiew, used to capture objects from far away... usually around 200mm and greater

macro function - allows the lens (be it either wide or tele) to focus on the object at a much closer distance than otherwise allowed.

zoom - a lens that can change focal distances, usually by turning the dial. ie: 17-55mm 'zoom' coverage.

macros on wide lenses are useless as u'r too close to the object and they will usually run/fy away, or the lens is virtually bumping the object. 105mm or thereabout is a good working distance, although more is better i reckon (especially if you're shooting spiders!)
Thanks for the lesson mate, I was confused! I found my dream lens anyway... Below. Can't wait to try out some beach shots and get some of the Summit at Mt Diablo in San Francisco in march!

Ok, I went to duty free

I picked up a Manfrotto Monopod $299 got it for $179
and a Tamron DiII SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Lens with a polarising filter and hood. It takes a 77mm Filter. Was $1099 got it for $899

I have just had a play. It does awesome close up, I can't make it go out of focus even if I am just about touching the object on the lens. It gets a whole room plus some in it.
The monopod is awesome, the bottom unscrews and 3 little legs fall out so it sort of turns into a very unstable tripod
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...18_review.html

Last edited by DAN682; 21-02-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Tags
lens