Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Photography and Media
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 12:11 AM
STI Master

westoz at standard level
Default Nikon DSLR choice

Ok ppls, informed opinions please...

Tossing up between the D70S, D80 and the new D40X..... price differences are considerable, yet there seems to be little in it as far as the specs go...

What are the critical differences, ie the ones that matter? Why wouldn't I go the D40X over the D80 and save around $600?

Comparo for D40X - D80 - D70S

Btw, I wanna stay with Nikon; confusing enough as it is without looking at other brands. In any event, the only other brand I would consider is Canon, but yeh the Nikon has the edge for me.

Thanx in advance
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)

Last edited by westoz; 02-04-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 AM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Umm anyone? With perhaps not-so-informed opinions?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:41 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

redly rocket at standard level

They are all canon mad here for some reason... Im looking at the same decision but without the d70 in the mix. d70s maybe, for the right price.

Im leaning towards the d40x with a Tamron lens or 2 to start with. Better off saving money on the camera and putting it towards some decent lenses. From what ive heard, the exposure and colour system on the d80 is slightly lacking and a touch wishy-washy. That said it does share the same system as the d200. I think you just need to think abit more with d80 as its more of an enthusiast camera, as opposed to the d40x which is more aimed at point and shoot type users which leans me back towards the d80....

If your used to older film cameras go the d80 and work for your photos a bit more but if your graduating from a small point and shoot digital go for the d40x.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_d80&show=all
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond40x/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/ - read some of the user reviews to get an idea on the faults.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

My mates got a D80 and its a lovely camera, You will be happy with either Canon Or Nikon I think the main difference is Nikons better Flash system.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:44 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Nikons flash is tops. Especially the wireless flashes.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:12 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

Yeah I can vouch for the D80, its a great camera. Nikon indeed has an awsome flash system too. I wouldnt be making any decisions on megapickles alone as there are draw backs with a higher mp sensors such as more high ISO noise etc. The d70/d80 is the way to go for build quality, view finder, auto focus speed and accuracy etc. I have many Nikon friends so get to hear a fair bit of feedback on these cameras.

By the way, Nikon SLRs use Sony sensors, same as the Sony a100 and the Pentax k10d, have you lookd at these cameras too?

Last edited by slappy; 04-04-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:56 AM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Thanx for the replies guyz, great links there redly.

I'm graduating from a film Pentax SLR and Fuji S5000 digi. What I've read so far has me leaning fairly strong towards the D80 with an 18-135mm, don't reckon I'd be disappointed. Still, the D40X has a lot going for it, especially price...

Slappy, I have looked at the Pentax & Canon and they certainly compare favourably in the price vs specs dept but I'm wanting to get the "best" and the websites mostly seem to lean towards the Nikon for the biggest vote. I'm tired of (usually) buying entry level items, which makes me look even harder at the D80.

Choices choices...

Heading off to Bali on Easter Monday, will be sussing out the duty free shops but not planning on making any rash decisions or impulse purchases at this point. But only time will tell .
Old 04-04-2007, 03:35 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

I hear ya, im leaning towards the d80 for more of a challenge. but the d40x is still looking the goods.

I had an old minolta for a few years back in school, then went onto a nikon f60m to a canon powershot something or other and am now keen to get back into more real photography... I miss the darkroom and still want to get that set up again sometime. I am really hoping that the new purchase will spur me on to get back into it and pretty full on like.

Good luck with the decision, and seriously pop in to a camera store and play with the pair of them... Ill be playing with the old mans d200 sometime this week to get a bit of a feel for it.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:21 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

Be aware that although the Nikon D80 has less high ISO noise than the Nikon D200, no Nikons have as good as ISO performace as a canon 30D (ISO 800 - ISO 3200 range). This makes indoor action hard to shoot and get really clean shots. The noise removal in the D80 also removes a fair bit of detail so i probably wouldnt use it.

The metering, view finder, and flash sync is better on the nikon so its a pretty damn good trade off. If I wasnt going to buy top of the range canon L glass I would have bought nikon myself probably. The Nikkor ED 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF DX VR would be teh first lens I would buy, but depends on your budget oh course. That lens is pretty much the best walkaround general purpose lens, it covers a awsome range.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:25 PM
STI Master

methd at standard level
Send a message via MSN to methd

sorry i have been away and just spotted this. differences as follows...

1) the d40x has lesser precise controls for ISO (1/3 v 1.0 jumps in ISO). the d80 also maxes out at Hi1 which (i think) is 3200 ISO - this isnt avail on the D40/x

2) the biggest difference is that the d40/x cannot take lenses that dont have its own focus servo. this means it can only take lenses that are AF-S and NONE that are primes. the d80 can take all lenses. prime lenses, as u will learn when u take more photos are cheaper, optically superior and faster for their money.

3) WB cant be set precisely with D40 using custom colour temps (ie shooting a white card and inputing a wb temp in). this CAN be done on the D80

4) the d40/x only shows the histogram after taking the shot and NOT the RGB histogram. i suspect that this histogram it shows is only the green channel and may not be truely representative of the RGB combined channels. Of course, the D80 shows all three as well as the white.

5) the d40/x doesnt have the LCD screen on top which shows all the camera functions and settings typical of nikon cameras. this is a cost cutting feature and also one to differentiate it with the d80. i dont think this bit really matters as it shows this info on the main colour screen anyway.

6) no grid lines to measure up the horizon or vertical lines to measure up trees.... (can always correct in PS). d80 has these built in grid lines.

7) Cam530 autofocus on the D40 is inferior to the Cam1000 on the d80/d200. cam100 is very fast ! i havent read anything about the speed about the cam530 AF mechs. the d80 also has a few better focussing controls that may be relevant in varying conditions (dynamic area focusing etc)

8) d80 has bulb function (opens shutter for as long as u like). d40/x doesnt.

9) lots more nooby flash functions on the d40 - lots more advanced hard to learn functions on the d80

10) d40 doesnt have option for vertical battery/potrait grip - d80 does

11) battery in the d80 is heaps better - lasts a lot longer inbetween charges

i think that's it

Tags
choice, dslr, nikon