Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Photography and Media
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-10-2008, 02:02 PM
STI Master

Bakks at standard level
Default Sony a200

I'm looking at an entry level DSLR. I see Harvey Norman have the Sony a200 for $748 with a twin lens kit (18-70 & 75-300). This seems like a really good price, and I can't find anything online anywhere close to this. This camera seems to get good reports online and it has been recommended to me by a camera shop as the best introductory camera. Anyone have any experience or comments? Should I be looking at a second hand 350D instead?

Last edited by Bakks; 26-10-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 26-10-2008, 03:08 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Sik em evo4 at standard level

We have the Sony A100 that came with the lens kit (18-70 & 75-300), for almost 12 months now and it been wonderful, it takes great photos and easy to use. It was hard to go past for the same reason you have stated.
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/1...otography.aspx
Old 27-10-2008, 11:53 AM
STI Master

Bakks at standard level

Thanks. I've heard the lens that comes with the kit are pretty average and often give a "chrome" effect. Did you find this?

At least with the sensor inbuilt into the camera it allows for cheap lens upgrades.
Old 27-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

your talking about chromatic abbreviation. where the colours separate at the ends of the frame (so you see purple edges on leaves etc) Any cheap lens will have this problem, which includes any of the lenses in any other camera makers kit. I wouldn't worry about this right now In fact its hard to notice unless you taking photo's of trees against a bright sky.

If you end up getting into it bakks you'll probably end up with a totally different camera anyway. Plus you wont even think twice about spending $1500+ on a nice new lens :P

I wouldn't be looking at a 350d its pretty well out of date now, the A200 has in body image stabilisers which means you get IS on any lens you have, unlike canon where you have to buy an extra expensive lens to get this.

Id also look at the pentax 200d and the nikon 40d or 60d and maybe the 450d or 400d canon.

Last edited by werticusness; 27-10-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Tags
a200, sony