Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Photography and Media (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/photography-media/)
-   -   good enough to print? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/photography-media/23918-good-enough-print.html)

gorotsuki69 21-12-2008 12:13 PM

good enough to print?

photo n00b here.
our wedding photographer is including a DVD with pics of 72dpi and 750x500pixels

I know poster size printing is out of the question but is this good enough for printing 4x6 size ? just for sending to friends and rellies

maniac 21-12-2008 01:10 PM

Quality wont be too very good, but depending on the printer it may be passable.

To print a 4x6 at 300dpi you would ideally have the filesize at 1200 x 1800pixels, so your optimum resolution is about 150dpi at current size.

72dpi is really only for on-screen viewing.

TROLLEY 21-12-2008 05:35 PM

Why don't you pay the Photographer for a DVD of print resolution images?

TopGear 21-12-2008 06:53 PM

yeah sounds like you trying to rip the photog off, if not pay for the photos.

WRP10 21-12-2008 09:35 PM

72ppi is only acceptable for web applications, for anything print it needs to be 300 or more

4x6 will be way too small, it wont hold up on any closer inspection

pmh 21-12-2008 10:58 PM

Most wedding photographers don't give out high res electronic files, even if you pay for it as its a copy right for them (lots of positives and -ves about who's rights, etc, but that's a different discussion)

So for the ones that are quick to judge....

TROLLEY 21-12-2008 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=pmh]Most wedding photographers don't give out high res electronic files...[/QUOTE]

That's true. Some do, some don't. I personally know of a couple that do. If in this case the Photographer doesn't give that option, then the client should be ordering and paying for whatever he or she wants printed!

pmh 21-12-2008 11:09 PM

I personnally know some that do and don't as well
However, if the ones that don't offer this service and like to jack up their prices (and some are very optimistic with their pricing), I'm not sure how many ppl can really afford it to be honest.

Anyway, I won't spam this thread, the query is about the resolution, and not about whether he/she here should be printing them or not.
Much like ppl burning copies of CDs, DVDs or buying copies of software, etc. Some do it, some don't. Its down to their choice.

TopGear 22-12-2008 09:33 AM

I see it as the Photog did a service and is now not getting paid.

gorotsuki69 22-12-2008 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=TopGear]I see it as the Photog did a service and is now not getting paid.[/QUOTE]

OMG Captain Insightful has exposed my dastardly scheme.
I'm also sending the bridal party to steal her hubcaps while she's busy and I'm gonna steal her camera when she goes to the loo. Hell, I might even give her surprise buttsecks while her knickers are down.

Nevermind the $3000+ that I will be paying her for the wedding photo package which comes with this DVD I'm ripping her off???
Do you really think a pro wedding photographer of 15+ years experience is going to let herself get ripped off?
(OMG YES I AM PAYING FOR IT)