Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Photography and Media (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/photography-media/)
-   -   When do you have the right to sell your images? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/photography-media/42740-when-do-you-have-right-sell-your-images.html)

mARC 10-06-2011 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;574121]Will pay $5 for photos.[/QUOTE]

haha good to see you're still in fine form Russ :thumbsup:

jEstEr? 10-06-2011 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=trainwrex;574119]TJ the same can be said for car owners.. Why should they spend 1000s more on their car and risk putting the car in the wall for ppl to take pics of it then sell it to the masses...

It all comes down to the cost... if someone is going to charge 20 per digital photo i think that is unfair to the owner of the car.. They should be consulted imo..

For official events like motorvation etc then this is different but for skid pan days etc i dont think that the same rules apply..[/QUOTE]

your on crack, there is no difference between a skidpan day and a rally. the only thing you need is permission to be physically standing on the land to take the photos. what you can see with your lens becomes your copyright the instant you click the shutter. The question is if the photo is WORTH selling

Shodown 10-06-2011 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?;574202]what you can see with your lens becomes your copyright the instant you click the shutter. The question is if the photo is WORTH selling[/QUOTE]

Upskirt pics or GTFO ? :D

BLUES 10-06-2011 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?;574202]...the only thing you need is permission to be physically standing on the land to take the photos. what you can see with your lens becomes your copyright the instant you click the shutter. The question is if the photo is WORTH selling[/QUOTE]

The whole paparazzi world would end if wasn't like this.

AWDmoke 10-06-2011 01:48 PM

and that would be a bad thing?

98kellrs 10-06-2011 01:51 PM

Well the idea is to sell the photos to the owner of the vehicle as a momento of their time of their time on the track. This obviously works best for experience days as the racers already know how cool they look!:rolleyes:

The ATO regard it as a hobby.

I'll have a word with the event organisers and see what they say.

Jimmy S 10-06-2011 02:11 PM

I'm pretty sure unless you are making more than $5k? income from your hobby/business, the ATO don't want to know about it. But that also means that costs associated with the running of the business cannot be claimed against the income.

RUSSGT 10-06-2011 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=98kellrs;574244]Well the idea is to sell the photos to the owner of the vehicle as a momento of their time of their time on the track. This obviously works best for experience days as the racers already know how cool they look!:rolleyes:

The ATO regard it as a hobby.

I'll have a word with the event organisers and see what they say.[/QUOTE]

I really think this is a stupid idea. Unless they ask you to take photos or are paying for your services the photos should be free. You rocking up on your own initiative and taking a bunch of photos hoping they will pay for them is rude and arrogant.

Bob 10-06-2011 02:36 PM

Cash sales FTW too.

98kellrs 10-06-2011 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;574259]I really think this is a stupid idea. Unless they ask you to take photos or are paying for your services the photos should be free. You rocking up on your own initiative and taking a bunch of photos hoping they will pay for them is rude and arrogant.[/QUOTE]

Well my first motivation for taking the photos is down to my love of the sports, combined with enjoying the challenge of capturing their movement in a way that reflects how impressive it is, not just snapping dull, generic, freeze-frames to try and flog. I don't want to push people into buying the images, but if they want to pay me for my efforts I want to be sure I'm not going to get sued by the event organisers, or official photographers.