Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Stock ECU Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/)
-   -   04 Liberty GT With 06 engine (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/39284-04-liberty-gt-06-engine.html)

damo5.0 29-12-2010 01:27 PM

04 Liberty GT With 06 engine

I have an 04 Liberty GT, engine died, and I have replaced engine/turbo with one from a 06 GT Jap Spec though.

Do I need to have my ECU remapped to run this engine because it is a different spec? I have no mods on the car at all it is just stock, and not really to keen on spending1k+ on a retune as im not planning any mods for the car i just want to have it how it is.

So can the stock ECU be remapped to run this engine? It is all running fine and have been driving it for a while now, but im thinking it really should be remapped/retuned for this engine to be 100% safe.

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers

JDM_STYLE 29-12-2010 01:39 PM

Jap ECU's are tuned for 100RON fuel so if it was me I'd be getting it tuned to our fuel for safety as you wouldn't want another engine to go BANG!!!

Jimmy S 29-12-2010 01:42 PM

Just shell out the $1000 for a Verso tune... That should give you peace of mind, and prevent the same thing happening again!

teejay 29-12-2010 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=JDM_STYLE;523166]Jap ECU's are tuned for 100RON fuel so if it was me I'd be getting it tuned to our fuel for safety as you wouldn't want another engine to go BANG!!![/QUOTE]

Yes, but I presume its running the stock 04 ecu and wiring on a 06 engine.

If thats the case the tune will be the aussie 04.

Pimpreza 29-12-2010 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=JDM_STYLE;523166]Jap ECU's are tuned for 100RON fuel so if it was me I'd be getting it tuned to our fuel for safety as you wouldn't want another engine to go BANG!!![/QUOTE]

I think he's running Aus ECU, cheapest option would probably be to take it to a workshop & get them to plug the diagnostic tester in to see if everything is running ok,
Plenty of JDM ECU's out there running on 98 without a problem, mine's been fine for the past 6yrs.

mARC 29-12-2010 02:28 PM

Side note to this: I have been informed that there is no need to undertake a tune when replacing a block only?

For example moving from my stock Bug WRX block to am EJ207 doesn't require a tune?

'yes I know that the other additions to my build will require it to be tuned, I'm just curious about a straight out block replacement.'

damo5.0 29-12-2010 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=Pimpreza;523175]I think he's running Aus ECU, cheapest option would probably be to take it to a workshop & get them to plug the diagnostic tester in to see if everything is running ok,.[/QUOTE]

This is correct, Im running the AUS ECU and have put a Jap Engine/turbo in there.

I have been told that they run more compression in the Jap engines?? I dont know too much about it all so just going off what people can tell me.

Where abouts would I be able to get it plugged in and checked to see if its all running good?

Cheers

teejay 29-12-2010 02:35 PM

If there is a change upwards in compression it will need a retune for sure. Having a tune for 8.1 with a motor running 9.1 will kill it before running 2/3 psi more than stock.

Downwards not overly, but it wont perform at its peak either.

damo5.0 29-12-2010 02:48 PM

It runs fine atm, I did have a couple problems at first with it starting every now and then but once I started running it for a couple weeks no issues. Although maybe once a month it almost stalls as it starts when it kicks over..

When it starts boosting at around 3k revs i notice the engine to start sounding a bit rougher (about the only word i can use to describe)

Other than this its all good, I do want to get the tune done though so Im all happy with it and sure its all good. I was just curious as to whether there is a way to have the stock one changed or a cheaper way than an after market tune.

Cheers

Rossco 29-12-2010 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=mARC;523181]Side note to this: I have been informed that there is no need to undertake a tune when replacing a block only?

For example moving from my stock Bug WRX block to am EJ207 doesn't require a tune?

'yes I know that the other additions to my build will require it to be tuned, I'm just curious about a straight out block replacement.'[/QUOTE]

Depends on the Compression ratio between the two blocks.

If you went from 8.4:1 then swapped in a 9.0:1 short you may have detonation issues on the stock tune (or it will always run with the timing retarded as far as it can).

Always worth a dyno health check either way.