Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Stock ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-02-2014, 05:53 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru
Default ECU Clearing / Reading CELS

Not sure if this has ever been posted, but I've never come across it here.

To get rid of DTC (diagnostic Trouble Code) or Cells (if you want to call it that) that pop up, you need to turn the ignition to on then Acc 3 times in a row... but how do you read the codes to know what the issue is before clearing them if you do not have a PC, tactrix, and learning view?

Well I came across the answer after my car threw a cell the other day due to the CAI filter and MAF getting wet from the crazy rain here in Sydney. I asked my tuner how to read cells with a tactrix since Learning view does not work for my model yet. He told me that I do not need anything to read codes except my dash combination meter.

I'm not 100% sure if it will work for all models, but it definitely works for MY10+ Foresters, so I guess other models can try and report here.

No scan tool required and you can even read codes having to do with the VDC system(steering angle sensor,yaw sensor, wheel speed sensor, etc)

DTC DISPLAY MODE
It is possible to display the DTC of the combination meter through the following procedures.
1) Within 3 seconds after turning the ignition switch to ON. set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight pos
ition.
2) Press the odo/trip meter knob four times.
3) Turn the lighting switch to OFF, and press the odo/trip meter knob four times.
4) Set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight position again, and press the odo/trip meter knob four times.
NOTE:
Perform the steps described in 2) and 4) within 10 seconds.

When the engine starts during diagnosis, the self-diagnosis function is not cancelled, however, once turning the ignition switch to OFF or the vehicle starts driving, DTC display mode is cancelled automatically for
safety.
When the DTC display mode operates, {ECM}, (TCM}, {ABS/VDC} is displayed cyclically in this order for every three seconds or every press of the trip knob. DTC is displayed in the following table according to type of control module, receiving DTC, DTC detected, No DTC.
When the DTCs of individual control modules change from current malfunctions to past malfunctions, and the trouble is cleared, when the engine is started three or more times, the DTC will no longer be displayed in the combination meter.

Trip A displays codes for the ECM with PXXXX and the ABS/VDC system with CXXXX
Trip B displays codes for the TCM with PXXXX. This only applies to automatic cars.

Tags
cels, clearing, ecu, reading, stock