Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Motorsport > WRC Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Remember an in car shot ( No Idea who it was ) some time in the 90's. Mountain road with the square concrete blocks and nothing between them and a few thousand foot drop.

Something broke at high speed and they came to a stop between two of the blocks pivoting on the edge with the front left hanging in clear air.

First words ( Rather pissed off tone and volume ) " Shit we lost the race "

Other one Pretty sure was Ross Dunkerson at Rally Australia one year almost 90 deg sideways through a cattle grid and wouldn't have fit a cigarette paper between either the front or back bumper and the fence posts.

There were no marks on the car so he never touched. Damed if I know how.
Old 28-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

sounds like uh marko martin on the mote carlo?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:30 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

deviant at standard level

Carlos Sainz in a Toyota Corolla on the Rally GB.

Tommi Makeeeeeeenan had gone out on the first day after losing a wheel and being pulled by the plod on the road heading towards the service station in my home town.

Carlos needed to finish the rally to be world champion....last stage, last day and Carlos must have been thinking its in the bag, just get it back safe and you are world champion when all of a sudden BANG the engine lets go in front of a big crowd near the end of the stage! The TV footage is great....you see the car head on when there is a big gush of flames seen underneath and the engine goes silent. They leap out and extinguish the fire but the damage is terminal. The co-driver chucks his helmet through the rear windscreen and Carlos sets about hurting the car leaving it covered in dents.
Old 23-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

CRUZMISL at standard level

Cannot remember what year but around 6-7 years ago I was near services to go to the next stage and waiting as the WRC cars pulled out.

The next car past was Solberg so I pulled out and followed. He was swerving around a bit to heat up his tyres but left me for dead at the next intersection.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 PM

SublimeForester at standard level

So many.....

Whilst queing (sp?) up for the dias at the official finish I think it was in 2000, myself and a mate were standing just at the back of the dias. There were the usually hot chicks leading the cars up the ramp. Didier Auriol pulls up in front and asks us " So is she pretty too because all I can see is her gorgeous ass!"

Following Carlos Sainz on the previously mentioned transport stage when he had lost a wheel. We actually saw him when the wheel was still on (albeit pointing 90 degrees from the way it should have). we were following in the cloud of tyre smoke, which died off as the tyre shredded and broke away, which then turned to sparks as the wheel slowly disintegrated. by the time we turned off he was down to the brake disc.

Having Sebastian Loeb waving and giving the thumbs up at me whilst I hung out the car ( we were in front of him on a transport stage) window to take pics of him.

Getting $50 off the WRC cameramen for giving up the best viewing spot Ive ever got on a rally event. We were the first ones into that viewing section on the stage and waited about 2 hours before the first cars were due through. 5 minutes before the first car was due, one of the media helicopters lands and the guys get out and start sussing out the best spot. Once they eyed my spot they werent going to go anywhere else. I didnt give it up without a fight though. They were really good and offered the $50 as compensation after hearing how long Id been waiting there.

The Muresk "yumps" in 99 ( i think). Ive got a block mounted pic of Tommi totally airborne. It was just a photo taken by a photographer, not unlike any other airbourne Tommi pic. The thing that was special to me was that myself and my old man are standing in the background opposite from where the pic was taken. My GF at the time bought it for me as a birthday present and it wasnt until she gave it too me that we realised it was us!

There are heaps more but lets face it my anicdotes are getting pretty boring....
Cheers
Brett
Old 13-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

^^ Thats pretty amazing Brett! You are in the background of a photo of TM airbourne! Awesome!

http://kap.industries/
Old 13-08-2009, 08:49 PM

yeah mate......next time youre around I'll show ya.
Old 13-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Seeing TTE mechanics freeze Carlos Sainz' turbocharger with a CO2 extinguisher then watching them change it in 8 mins. That was at the Curtin Uni stage in the early 90's and the dud turbo was just thrown to the ground, anodised fittings and all.

Seeing and hearing Monster Tajima's Yellow Cultus GTi for the first time at the old Richmond raceway stage.....fark, that thing sounded like a Ninja on crack! The next year servicing next to them in Collie, and watching Tajima's brother use a brand new Bilstein strut as a sledgehammer to beat the rear wheelarch back into some form of straight. My mates still recall that memory with a laugh anytime someone needs a hammer to re-shape a wheelarch. Tajima spec? is the catch cry. The year after that he bent the car almost in half on the navigator's door, the scrutineers wouldn't let them out of service until the door would open (it was a complete mess and the team didn't understand what was going on fully) His Aussie Navigator, Mark Nelson was trying to translate with phrases like "me... in-out... necessary!!!" Needless to say the team McGuyvered the door to open again. (probably rooted some more new Bilsteing struts in the process)

Driving a van full of Jap mechanics, all sitting on race fuel drums while smoking in the back! Servicing on the side of the road at night, with no sleep for days, running on adrenaline.

Watching Ari Vatanen in the 555ARI Legacy anywhere on the rally, but in particular in Murray Pines at night at a downhill 90 right arriving with all 4 brakes glowing bright red and flames licking from the exhaust.

And lastly, the pure excess of money surrounding the event. I'm sure the state gov't had some dud figures when they decided to can it, fark there was some dosh spent!

Last edited by dtrally; 13-08-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 14-08-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
And lastly, the pure excess of money surrounding the event. I'm sure the state gov't had some dud figures when they decided to can it, fark there was some dosh spent!
Yeah that always had me confuddled too. It seems it was probably more a case of "cant be bothered" rather than "cant be funded".

Tags
memories