Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Your Driveway (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/)
-   -   Our new Sti (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/36307-our-new-sti.html)

Jeckle 24-03-2011 03:33 PM

Had a few issues since Dec (excluding suspension)

The CEL (Code 171 lean at idle) did become a bit of a problem. The car would stall when idling, or coming to a set of lights, and bring up the CEL. (a real pain when you want to use cruse control for the long drives). The idle would sit at about 800-1000rpm and then drop to 0, sometimes jumping back to 800, other times stalling.

Fortunately the ECUdata scanner was employed, (loved that GB) I could check the CEL, then clear it.

Had a shop in Perth check it again, and they suspected an air leak checked for many hours and found nothing. Their next step was to remove the intake manifold and also check around the injectors. They confirmed that the car wasn't lean when the car was off idle.

For a second opinion it was down to Busselton. There they confirmed it was very lean at idle, but fine when reved. (I had also recently changes the spark plugs and they were fairly white) They also did a compression test in case the rings had moved round and provided a leak there. (that was fine) His suggestion was the tune and offered a link G3, or see Lane at Race Torque.

Back from Race Torque yesterday. Lane re-did the ECUtek tune, and it idles better than when I first got it. (and it wasn't that bad then) and got more power, less boost, and richer through the rev range. Lane also believes there's a different cam as it was hard to tune for the idle, and the making of the power.

On the mainline dyno, the figure went from 228.9Kw, 401Nm and 23psi (160Kpa) to 247.6Kw, 399Nm and 20 psi. :cool: Little different to the MMS dyno, but then dynos do produce different results.

So it now idles and has more top end. (between 3000 and 4200rpm the 2 curves are the same).

In between times, I ran the LF Speedevent series down here in Collie and ran a 54.2 on some second hand hard semi slick. Now the motor is running well, and I've learnt a bit about the semi slicks and when I solve the suspension issues, that should fall again. (that and winter with air temps below 35C)

AIG 24-03-2011 06:55 PM

Nice improvement Tim. You should bring it up for the first round of the wrx club championship on the 3rd.

Jeckle 24-03-2011 07:15 PM

Waiting for the details in the next day or so.:D

AIG 24-03-2011 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=Jeckle;548311]Waiting for the details in the next day or so.:D[/QUOTE]

Excellent. I'll be there in the non-Subaru class.

Jeckle 24-03-2011 07:35 PM

Well that means i wont be too sad when you beat me... Haven't done alot of autokahana, just the EOYB last year.

Jeckle 14-07-2011 05:20 PM

Bit more of an update, since Lane did the tune, (and got extra kw, runs less boost, and abit richer ATR) the car has started to throw a different CEL.

It first appear when Lane was doing the tune, its a PO244, which is a problem with the boost control solenoid. After a service with Busselton Subaru Service yesterday, I ordered a Turbosmart BCS. Doing some research today on other types, and how to fit them, I checked the lines that supply the standard BCS, and found at the silicone inlet pipe, the fitting connecting the BCS tube and the silicone pipe was quite loose. A temporary cable tie tightened up the connection, and after a run in the car, problem solved.

This CEL also has similar symptoms to my previous issues, ie erroneous idle, and engine stalling.

So the long and the short of it, and its my thoughts only, MMS were looking for an air leak initially on the suction side of the turbo, but unfortunatley, it didn't show up. Lane by adding more fuel to the mix solved the lean issue and I'm really happy with the tune, and I'll be off tomorrow to buy a number of pipe clamps (jubilee) for all the lines that come off this silicone inlet pipe, that don't currently have them, and after my reasearch, I'll still fit the turbosmart BCS when I can get access to a dyno.

Jeckle 21-05-2013 05:45 PM

Pic updated, ready for TSW.

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img809/3533/img5866bx.jpg[/IMG]

ALEX. 21-05-2013 06:32 PM

I like the sticker on the wing mirror ;)

Best of luck Tim!

XT43 21-05-2013 08:13 PM

Best of luck tim.

Master D 21-05-2013 08:17 PM

Best of luck.
Seeya down there Saturday :-)