Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

WRXMatt at standard level
Default Matt's MY05 WRX!

So I took the big leap and sold my R33 Skyline... Moved on to a 2004 MY05 WRX! Have had it for around 6 months now and still love it! Worked out to be exactly what I was looking for, as it has the peanut shape but also has the hawk eye style interior.

Been going for drives into the hills and just cruising around as much as I can. Haven’t been on any cruises yet, but keen! The car drives great and goes very well! It has a few mods and im hoping to get more very shortly!
The car came with the 3 inch exhaust system and the king springs. The centre muffler in the exhaust seems to be broken (if I tap on it, it sounds like an empty Milo tin) and makes a gay noise when the car revs up (rattles between 3000 and 4500 revs). Looks like it was made somewhere and they didn’t use any brackets or anything, it hangs super low lol.

I have a slight small dent in the boot, which im keen to get removed. Hopefully I can get someone to remove the dent without any issues.

I will put up new Pics and info as I mod the car Should be getting a new exhaust in the next few weeks. Will post up pics of the install and a video showing the sound.

Mods at the moment:

STI Intercooler
3 Inch Turbo Back Exhaust
Apexi Panel Filter
Verso Tune – 16psi
Airbox Silencer Mod (Cut the bottom section off and sealed it up)
GFB Pulley System
Low King Springs
Short Shift Gear Stick
3 x Glowshift Gauges
DVD Deck
Angry Birds Sticker lol

Mods I wanna get shortly:

Cobb Air Intake
Cobb Air Intake Box
New 3inch Exhaust System – Thinking Ultrex or HKS Hi-Power
STI Spoiler

Stuff I need to do:

New Diff Oil
New Gearbox Oil (Thinking Redline Shock Proof, but not 100% sure, will Redline Shock proof make the gearbox last longer? Like better protection? Or not?.... lol)
Rear Brake Pads
Attached Thumbnails
WRX.JPG   WRX1.JPG   WRX2.JPG   WRX3.JPG  
Skooby Doo likes this.
Cobb Air Intake
STI Intercooler
Old 08-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff

Welcome matt, looks a very clean ride you have there, especially with the angry birds sticker, it is good for roughly +10Kw. :P mods look good, but to answer your question, the shockproof gearbox oil will make the gearbox last longer because (someone will correct me if I am wrong in my understanding) but it slows down the gear changed due to being thicker and therefore reduces the wear on the internal parts like synchros etc. Look at getting a cold air intake, this also makes an awesome noice

Best of luck with future modding/cruising

and welcome again

Brett
Old 08-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Cobb Air Box / Cold air intakes etc are just gay. There are 0 gains for what you are doing.

You are running a Verso tune, but no mention of what turbo? If it is still the stock TD04 replace with a VF34, Decap Injectors, Fuel Pump, Re-tune for super fun happy times.

I'd also up the handling and braking game (sway bars, rotors, pads, fluids etc).

Best mod you can do is head down to some RAC training days on the skid pan and learn how to drive your car. Best fun you can have with your pants on (and off)
Old 08-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Best fun you can have with your pants on (and off)
I've witnessed the latter in this - not a pretty sight... trust me!

But basically, what Kato said!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:07 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Thanks Brett! Good to know about the Redline Shock Proof. I dont plan on going to the track until I do alot more mods, so maybe a different type of Gearbox Oil would suit me. Would the Shockproof suit daily driving? Or is it mainly used for the track?
Yeah im keen to get a nice Cold Air Intake/Cobb Intake for the Sweet Sound

Just running the Stock TD04 with the Verso Tune. Yeah VF34 would be very nice! but might need to wait awhile before I can afford a new Turbo setup.
RAC training days sound interesting! Would be keen to check them out! The understeer was new to me after coming from a rear wheel drive car, lol
Cobb Air Intake
STI Intercooler
Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Sir AntiLag

Voot at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXMatt View Post
The understeer was new to me after coming from a rear wheel drive car, lol
Don't bother with anymore power, just get some front camber adjustment bolts and see john at wheels world, get him to set it up.

This will give you almost no understeer, and then you can feel how much power it has already in the corners
Old 08-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

Quote:
The car came with the 3 inch exhaust system and the king springs. The centre muffler in the exhaust seems to be broken (if I tap on it, it sounds like an empty Milo tin) and makes a gay noise when the car revs up (rattles between 3000 and 4500 revs). Looks like it was made somewhere and they didn’t use any brackets or anything, it hangs super low lol.
Hey mate,

When you say centre muffler, do you mean CAT or catalytic converter, you may find that it is not a muffler but a catalytic converter that had come apart inside?

I had a similar issue on a SS ute I had, the cats hung low, got hit on the kerb when going from the road to driveways or on speed bumps. This smashes the honeycomb looking material inside and this is what you might be hearing when you go between the 4 - 4.5k mark.

This is also why it probably sounds like an empty Milo tin when you tap it?

I might be wrong, but this is a similar issue to what I had. It had me stumped for ages, until the honeycomb looking material inside disintegrated and the rattling noise went away.

Simon.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Thanks Voot! Gonna do that for sure! Sounds like a great mod!
Yeah im happy with the power for now, just wanna get a nice drive from it and some great sounds.
Roughstilin, yeah i checked the cat, that seems to sound ok, but the tin sound is coming from the centre muffler, the one before the rear muffler. It hangs super low because of the exhaust and always gets bashed! lol
Cobb Air Intake
STI Intercooler
Old 09-06-2011, 01:43 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

oneten at standard level

Quote:
Just running the Stock TD04 with the Verso Tune. Yeah VF34 would be very nice! but might need to wait awhile before I can afford a new Turbo setup.
RAC training days sound interesting! Would be keen to check them out! The understeer was new to me after coming from a rear wheel drive car, lol

Nice car mate!! Pretty much exactly what I bought, excpt mine is a wagon Mine had very similar mods too, so I can relate to your satisfaction... it won wear off anytime soon either!

You say it has a Verso tune, but only 16psi??
Mine im almost positive has never had a tune but also runs 16psi, I thought this was stocko boost?
Mine does have a full 3 inch turbo back exhaust tho.

Keep the mods coming.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Stocker boost is ~13.5psi.

Tags
matt, my05, wrx