Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Subaru Tech Division

REXXXED knows their stuff
Default REXXXED's Driveway

Howdy All,

Pre:warning: lots of photo's as i was bored at work

Thought it may as well be about the time to post up my own "Your Driveway" thread, seeing as i've been here a while now.

It all started back when I purchased my first WRX. A Dark Blue MY00 Ltd Edition Subaru WRX back in May of 2008.

What can i say.... I was 19, I saw it on the net, fell in love with it, went and test drove it, fell even more in love with it, and drove away in it the next day! Only 73000kms on the clock when i purchased it. Single owner, Lady driver etc etc. and the thing was completely and utterly stock as a rock (even the stock head unit).

Stock as a rock on the first day of ownership:

I had big plans for this car to be spaced out over a year or so, however after only 2-3 months of ownership, something terrible happened....... A big white Mitsubishi Express Van went up my arse whilst i was sitting at the traffic lights at the corner of Leach Hwy and Orrong Road, and i was sandwiched between that, and the commodore ute in front of me

Damage caused:

So that ended that car....written off a few days later with about 20K just in panel damage, and i had 24K in my hand within the week (RAC were very quick in turning this around and getting me a cheque within a few days).

So here i was in July 2008, 19 years of age $24K in hand looking for another Subaru....

Back at this time any good, lower km version 6 STi's (my dream car since i was a boy) were going for about $32K and the 2005 STi that I also really really wanted was well out of reach.

I had been seeing a funny yellow coloured classic WRX in the city every so often when i was walking on my way to work, and for some reason i really really liked it. So after a few minutes of investigating and locating a few for sale locally, i decided to purchase this one for $22K.
Only Mods were a 3" TBE with 4.5" cannon and was lowered on King Springs, at time of purchase it had only 82000kms on the clock.

Picture taken a couple of days after collecting the car and the day the plates were put on:

So began the slow and not so steady modding process.... First thing i had done within about 4 days of owning the car was to removed the cannon exhaust. For some reason i had never been a big fan of having a milo tin bolted to the back of your car, and it was replaced with the much more subtle (and IMO better sounding) 3" twin tip Varex muffler as seen in the above photo. This exhaust is very very loud on WOT, but less house shaking at idle then a cannon.

Soon after purchasing my yellow friend I started wanting to go on cruises and take lots and lot of photo's of my car and anyone else's cars that i liked.

This picture is of mine car and ALEX. 's car only a few weeks after ownership:

Next modification was the STi Spoiler. I received the offer from a fellow forum member and CSE4 owner Stuart (EYEZ) to trade my boot lid and spoiler, in return for his boot lid and replica 22B spoiler He wanted to de-wing his car and there would be less holes in the boot with mine. I of course jumped at the opportunity, and the result went a little like this:

No less than a couple of months after the spoiler came the STi Front Lip:

After this I semi hard-parked the car for about a year and a half, still attending cruises etc and would drive it to mates on the weekend, but i had purchased a daily driven car instead, and that was where the modding stopped for a while.

This was up until about 3-4 months ago where I went on a bit of a spending spree...... purchased a second hand VF34, a 04 STi top mount, walbro fuel pump, brand new Apexi Power FC, new Whiteline 22mm front and 24 mm rear bar and HD links and ALK. And got everything fitted up. Tune was done by ASG on the 28th of June at only 17PSI and my bum Dyno was very happy indeed! Only issue was a massively slipping clutch, the car barely went over 100KH in 4th and 5th and struggled in 3rd to go much higher... this was replaced by STechnic a couple of weeks later with a heavy duty clutch.

Actual Dyno:

So for the time being I am very happy with it power wise, I will take it to as many skid pan days as humanly possible, and hopefully soon some track days as well as i build up more experience.

That brings us to now. I recently went on another mini mod/spending spree (thanks to Japanparts.com) and purchased some genuine (pre-painted and stickered) foglight covers, a genuine RA 5 speed duracon gearknob, and STi pedals. I also did some DIY and tinted the front bar indicators, sprayed the little triangle vent black and also sanded back and re-sprayed the front lip Flat Black.

Most recent picture of the car on the Colin McRae Memorial Cruise thanks to KAMimages.com:

Last but not least, A couple more pictures from an RAC skidpan last month:

Current ride:
Subaru WRX Club Spec Evo IV

Interior and ICE:
Standard CSE4 interior (Black with Yellow inserts)
GD WRX Momo Steering Wheel
STI Pedal's
STI 5 speed RA Duracon Gearknob
Ultrex short Shifter
Alpine CDA9887 Headunit
Alpine Amp (mounted under passenger seat)
Alpine Speakers throughout

Engine/Suspension:
VF34
04 STi TMIC
3inch TBE with Varex Muffler
22mm front and 24mm rear Whiteline Swaybars and HD links
Whiteline ALK
King Spring Super Lows
DBA slotted front rotors
Removed Snorkus
STi oil cap
Apexi Power FC tuned to 17PSI - 230.8HP and 337.7 NM with a slipping clutch

Exterior/Cosmetic:
Replica 22B rear spoiler,
Replica Front Lip
Genuine Fog lamp Covers
JDM STI tail lights
Tinted front bar indicators and black triangular vent thingies...
Colour coded front side and rear skirts
De-badged rear

Few things i still want to do:
HSD Coilovers
Six speed box (if this one breaks)
207 bottom end (if this one breaks)
^^ If that happens then more booooooooost

I think ill leave it at that for now, and will jump back in here to add/remove things as we go. Just thought whilst i was twiddling my thumbs at work today i might do something productive

A couple of the pics above were not taken by myself, and I really want to thank the people that did take them, as i love having pictures to flip through on my iPhone or PC when i am bored!

Sam

Last edited by REXXXED; 07-01-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

nice write up. I remember when you wrote off the first car. were you at the first club spec photo shoot? I might have pics from that one at home
Old 04-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Subaru Tech Division

The first club spec shoot i went to was this one:
Club Spec Oct 2008

WRX Cruise Club Spec - YouTube

Car was pretty much stock standard back then bar the exhaust...
Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM
STI Master

Terry.Wrist at standard level

Nice write up mate, it goes great on the skidpan!

Have you thought about colour coding and STi rear lights? I reckon that would top off the exterior
Old 04-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Colour coding no, I like the black and yellow scheme as it is at the moment, STi rears yes. Keep trying to grab the ones that pop up for sale but keep getting beaten. if anyone has any laying around in their shed's shoot me a PM
Old 04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MY99GT at standard level

Glad to see the VF34 getting some use! Did you ever manage to sell your Frelander?(i think it was a Frelander anyway haha).
We will remember them.

Lest we forget .
Old 04-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY99GT View Post
Glad to see the VF34 getting some use! Did you ever manage to sell your Frelander?(i think it was a Frelander anyway haha).
Still got the fucking thing.... And yes, cheers for the VF34, she goes very well!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Flat Four Father

SPEC IV at standard level

Awesome work Sam!!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 PM
STI Master

forde at standard level

Car is looking sweet man. Also good to see that power fc didn't continue my bad luck onto you.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Haha the only thing your Power FC ruined of mine which I hadn't budgeted for was the clutch, I can live with that
I am also watching your build with lots of interest Anthony!

Last edited by REXXXED; 04-10-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Tags
driveway, rexxxed