Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Your Driveway (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/)
-   -   MY12 company bus (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/47664-my12-company-bus.html)

huggy_b 28-02-2012 08:43 AM

MY12 company bus

Well I have been on here for a while now, stirred a bit of shit and met a few people so I figure I should do a proper intro!

Around Oct 2010, my old company car (Hilux) was creeping up to 100,000km so I started deciding what I was gonna replace it with. For tax reasons another ute would have been better, but with my changing work role in the company I wanted a normal sedan - if I need a ute we have 3 others at work. So now it came down to bargaining with the boss (old man) about what I could get. I was given the parameters of "why not get a Calais like mine, or something equivilent?" - with equivilent being the clincher for me to propose a WRX. The old man looked smug and thought I wouldn't be in the price range, but I presented all the figures and he reluctantly agreed - BINGO! Went out and put a MY12 on order, January delivery.

During the wait, I started to accumulate some bits and pieces to add to the car when it arrived. I have been cunningly putting some purchases through the company, others I am footing myself. The old man doesn't want me to "modify" the car, so stealth is the order of the day......

So far the changes include:

Boring legal 35% tint
De-badged
Hella Supertones
AEM CAI
Ultrex C/F front lip
Cobb Racing short shifter
Kartboy front and rear shifter bushings
Alcantara gear boot replacement
Rally Armour mudflaps (black)
6.5 inch RF splits front
6.5 inch RF 2-ways rear
10" DVC RF sub
Alpine MRX-V60 amp
17" G-Max rims (white) and red Rays lugs nuts

Couple of pics from the WRX Club of WA supercruise:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/wombat01/cp746.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/wombat01/cp749.jpg[/IMG]

The white rims were a long term view, they are lighter than stock so they will be replaced soon (this week infact) at which point they will be shod with some street legal(ish) race rubber for extra curricular activities.

End of the week I'll be sporting gunmetal Rota's: either 18 x 9.5 DPT or 18 x 9 G Force with yokohama s-drives (245/40) and STD coilovers - should improve the stance somewhat.

Also I have a few goodies sitting in the spare bedroom including Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS, PW TMIC, Ultrex 3" TBE and an ultrex H-Brace. I only have 2700km on the car right now, so I wanted to get through that 5000 - 6000km barrier and give it an oil change before getting the tune, so for now it lays in wait (although I am going to see if the cat-back section of the exhaust will fit up this weekend). Toying with the idea of adding a Deatschwerks drop in fuel pump and some slightly bigger injectors to give myself a little headroom on the tune, but undecided if I want to go that far yet.......

Julz 28-02-2012 08:55 AM

Win

American Dave 28-02-2012 08:56 AM

well well who do we have here...Huggy Bpresive
Nice write up and I like where this is going. I would go the G Force Rotas but thats just personal taste. You will be pleased with S Drives but probably not the price.
I would be getting it tuned asap if you are running the AEM CAI. The stock tune is rich and rubbish so you aren't doing the engine any favours by waiting imo especially with the CAI. Spend the money on a bigger WL rear sway bar and links and def an WL ALK if you are going lower on coils. Better brake pads also wouldn't be a pad idea.
Unless you are heading down the path of a bigger snail I wouldn't bother spending money on bigger injectors or fuel pump but again my opinion.

Kato 28-02-2012 09:00 AM

Lowering springs or coilovers + a tune will be happy days.

Welcome to the pain that is FBT.

ImPreSiV 28-02-2012 09:22 AM

thats impresiv

TROLLEY 28-02-2012 09:33 AM

Huggy, you're swapping out those white rims? Will you be selling them?
Also +1 for S-Drives :D

huggy_b 28-02-2012 09:37 AM

[QUOTE=American Dave;656225]well well who do we have here...Huggy Bpresive
Nice write up and I like where this is going. I would go the G Force Rotas but thats just personal taste. You will be pleased with S Drives but probably not the price.
I would be getting it tuned asap if you are running the AEM CAI. The stock tune is rich and rubbish so you aren't doing the engine any favours by waiting imo especially with the CAI. Spend the money on a bigger WL rear sway bar and links and def an WL ALK if you are going lower on coils. Better brake pads also wouldn't be a pad idea.
Unless you are heading down the path of a bigger snail I wouldn't bother spending money on bigger injectors or fuel pump but again my opinion.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, the G Force were my favoured option. And the S-Drives are on the higher side of the 300's than I expected, but they are the only think keeping you attached to the road so its an area I dont want to skimp on.

Money isn't the issue for the tune, time is. Hard to find enough of it to have my car off the road for a day, plus I am in peak season for working away up north or out on the rigs so I am spending a fair amount of time away - so the tune unfortunately has to take a back seat for now.

WL gear, I've thought about it, but I will just see how it goes with coilovers for now. I was considering the upgrade to the fuel system as I have read a few guys have almost maxed out the IDC with similar mods. Plus I am thinking about setting up a dual tune (if its possible), one for 98 and one for E85 which will probably need some extra flow.....

[QUOTE=Julz;656224]Win[/QUOTE]

Cheers! :)

[QUOTE=Kato;656226]Lowering springs or coilovers + a tune will be happy days.

Welcome to the pain that is FBT.[/QUOTE]

The company can pay the FBT, and as mentioned coilies on this Saturday (just in time for the cruise).

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;656240]thats better than impresiv[/QUOTE]

Cheers, 2012 > 2011 :p

monkeee 28-02-2012 09:39 AM

Nice huggy.

I'm with A-Dave, Rota G-Force's over DPT's.

GTB Liberty 28-02-2012 10:39 AM

Looking good Brendon.

Big thumbs up for a general all around nice guy :)

kid 28-02-2012 12:31 PM

Hey mate, nice to see a good clean car with tasteful mods....

Both those choices of Rota would look bombed....

huggy_b 28-02-2012 01:39 PM

G Forces sorted. Rubber going on Thursday / Friday. Coilovers saturday.

huggy_b 01-03-2012 09:15 AM

Well, cirumstances bought a whole lot of this wheel suspension malarky forward a few days.

Had the coilovers fitted yesterday, ran around to get the rims and rubber sorted, fitted them up but the unrolled guards are an issue at the back - let that be a lesson! I knew they would be, but not much I could do about it yesterday. Getting that sorted this afternoon with Des so hopefully all systems go tonight.

Sitting much better even on the 17's (sorry about the crappy iphone pic)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/wombat01/IMG_0237.jpg[/IMG]

Mao might beat me to posting pics of it with the G-Forces on.

huggy_b 01-03-2012 10:23 PM

Its late, just another crappy iphone pic is all I have, but the car is looking shmick (ignore the dirt, it needs a clean).

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/wombat01/IMG_0239.jpg[/IMG]

I might need to raise the back slightly, still rubbing under hard cornering even with the rolled guards.

98kellrs 01-03-2012 10:34 PM

Oooh that looks much better! Totally different car with the stealth-spec rims and dumped on its ring.

I think those pics might have made me a little too excited...I've got a set of gunmetal DPT 18x9's going on mine next week.

b32 02-03-2012 07:18 AM

Looks hot!

magic1 02-03-2012 07:18 AM

Yessssssssssssssss.

Soksta 02-03-2012 07:21 AM

+1 for black on white, looks bloody nice!
How low is the front with the lip on?

Master D 02-03-2012 08:03 AM

likelikelikelikeliklike

American Dave 02-03-2012 08:37 AM

hell yeah
where's the damn hawt button ?
could go lower

ImPreSiV 02-03-2012 09:04 AM

needs better pics!

GTB Liberty 02-03-2012 09:05 AM

That's much better ...

"Could go lower" from our resident low rider. ;)

Air bag suspension next up for the Foz.

teejay 02-03-2012 09:06 AM

Kym take note! Slam that mofo!

Car looks 100000000000000000000 times better!

huggy_b 02-03-2012 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=Soksta;657113]+1 for black on white, looks bloody nice!
How low is the front with the lip on?[/QUOTE]

Just measured, its about 130 - 140mm from the ground to the underside of the lip.

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;657131]needs better pics![/QUOTE]

I heard Kympresiv photography services are making the making themselves available SOR this Sunday?

ImPreSiV 02-03-2012 09:21 AM

haha yeah I'll be at the meet point Sunday...

magic1 02-03-2012 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;657131]needs better pics![/QUOTE]

we need a poll!

1. ImPreSiV with white wheels :)
2. ImPreSiV with black wheels :D

huggy_b 02-03-2012 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=magic1;657144]we need a poll!

2. ImPreSiV with black wheels :D[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahahaha :p

ImPreSiV 02-03-2012 09:38 AM

would be no contest now...

ewrxion87 02-03-2012 09:39 AM

HuggyB

how hard is it to debadge on these models...are they adhesive on or does the rear of the badge have a plug ?

i wouldnt mind doing this to my 08 model but afraid i scratch or wrinkle the paint.

Soksta 02-03-2012 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=ewrxion87;657147]how hard is it to debadge on these models...are they adhesive on or does the rear of the badge have a plug ?

i wouldnt mind doing this to my 08 model but afraid i scratch or wrinkle the paint.[/QUOTE]

The WRX badge (09+) on the grill at the front is mounted by 2 clips, easy to remove but requires the front bumper to be taken off to gain access.

All the lettering on the rear is only stuck on with some adhesive tape.
The Subaru badge on the sedans is held on by adhesive, it does have 2 pieces that pass through the boot.

On the hatch models, I think it is only held in by adhesive.
Can ask Craig to nicely check the rear garnish I gave to him a few weeks ago.

huggy_b 02-03-2012 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=Soksta;657151]The WRX badge (09+) on the grill at the front is mounted by 2 clips, easy to remove but requires the front bumper to be taken off to gain access.

All the lettering on the rear is only stuck on with some adhesive tape.
The Subaru badge on the sedans is held on by adhesive, it does have 2 pieces that pass through the boot.

On the hatch models, I think it is only held in by adhesive.
Can ask Craig to nicely check the rear garnish I gave to him a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ewrxion87;657147]HuggyB

how hard is it to debadge on these models...are they adhesive on or does the rear of the badge have a plug ?

i wouldnt mind doing this to my 08 model but afraid i scratch or wrinkle the paint.[/QUOTE]

What handsome Dan above said. Braid fishing line (~20lb) works perfect for the back badges to "slice" them off the adhesive, then rub any residue off. Its not difficult. If you are at the cruise I can show you and it will take you no more than 3 minutes to do it. I can even bring you some braid if you dont have any.

EDIT: if you are talking about the oval subaru badge, then thats a different story altogether.

GTB Liberty 02-03-2012 10:03 AM

Application of some heat with hairdrier against lettering can help as well.

Or leave it out in the sun on one of our hotter days.

ewrxion87 02-03-2012 10:11 AM

nah the subaru badeg is ok because ive ordered the chrome delete panel which ive been waiting 3 weeks for now :( so much for express post...

just want to take the Impreza letters off the tailgate.

did u buff over it when done..or just wax to clean the paint

[QUOTE=huggy_b;657153]What handsome Dan above said. Braid fishing line (~20lb) works perfect for the back badges to "slice" them off the adhesive, then rub any residue off. Its not difficult. If you are at the cruise I can show you and it will take you no more than 3 minutes to do it. I can even bring you some braid if you dont have any.

EDIT: if you are talking about the oval subaru badge, then thats a different story altogether.[/QUOTE]

Soksta 02-03-2012 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=huggy_b;657153],then rub any residue off. Its not difficult.[/QUOTE]
Some people also use eucalyptus oil to fully get the residue off, not too sure how it works, goo remover should be able to work as well.

[QUOTE=huggy_b;657153]EDIT: if you are talking about the oval subaru badge, then thats a different story altogether.[/QUOTE]

Will be left with 2 holes in the boot, I'll try and find the pics if you like of the impreza bumper that I had put on my car.

ewrxion87 02-03-2012 10:16 AM

awesome :)

Huggy, those rims look sick BTW. Black ftw. cant believe you went so wide tho haha :P

American Dave 02-03-2012 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=magic1;657144]we need a poll!

2. ImPreSiV with black wheels :D[/QUOTE]

once you go black you never look back :D

huggy_b 02-03-2012 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=ewrxion87;657160]awesome :)

Huggy, those rims look sick BTW. Black ftw. cant believe you went so wide tho haha :P[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you want less hassles stick to an 8.5" rim - I just wanted to fill the guards a bit.....

EDIT: Once you take the badge off, you can give it a quick polish if there is any issues. Like I said, if you are at the cruise Sunday I can help you do it in like 2 or 3 minutes.

TROLLEY 02-03-2012 03:06 PM

Looks shit-hot :thumbsup:

monkeee 02-03-2012 03:35 PM

I like it.

huggy_b 03-03-2012 04:24 PM

Well I jacked the old girl up and put her on stands to pull out the cat back section and replace it with the Ultrex exhaust I have in my spare room. Unfortunately they didn't join all that well, so instead I just replaced the mufflers for now as that was the least painful and easiest thing to do - suprisingly good sound. So at least I have a little bark to match my new aggressive look.

bird 03-03-2012 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=huggy_b;657540]Well I jacked the old girl up and put her on stands to pull out the cat back section and replace it with the Ultrex exhaust I have in my spare room. Unfortunately they didn't join all that well, so instead I just replaced the mufflers for now as that was the least painful and easiest thing to do - suprisingly good sound. So at least I have a little bark to match my new aggressive look.[/QUOTE]

Snorkus delete will also give you more low end growl, while allowing you to hear the turbo spool up.

Just an idea :)