Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

After recovering from an emergency appendectomy I figured it was time to tie up some loose ends;
- moved / hid some vacuum lines.
- changed the HKS SSQV out for a OEM STI item so no more obnoxious whistles and squeaks between gears.
- chased a small coolant leak from the turbo feed line... again.
- checked all the above was fixed by opening the external wastegate on a test drive.

Next on my to do list;
- change out a few coolant lines which are turning white and starting to leak.
- still need to get a spare wheel.
- sell some spares I have (anyone want a full hectic SSQV...).
- change the cannon muffler to an oval muffler, not for a quieter exhaust but for a more sublte appearance.
- hit the track! I was unfortunately hospitalised the last track day so missed that
Top-Deck and JRecardo like this.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 16-01-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 19-12-2015, 07:39 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Had a great tuning session at RAC yesterday with no mechanical failures besides a vacuum line deciding to slip off the BOV, causing me to assume the worst and the car to limp around. The tyres (Yoko S-Drives) were ok but went off after 4 laps, so that was a reminder to cool off and let the car rest for a while.

The brake pedal did get a little longer after 5 laps too, but the pads / discs didn't seem too hot. So I might bleed the system to check for air and then throw some new DOT4 fluid in to be safe. I will also do a quick visual on the disc / pad / caliper while I have the wheels off.

So overall I had a good day, car preformed well and met some cool people.

I have a few videos, so hopefully at least one is good enough to upload.
SolarFilms likes this.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 19-12-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 19-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Scoobie Noobie

garst at standard level

Vey cool Foz Dan, sure you've heard it a hundred times by now, but that steering wheel is absolutely boss.

Also think you're right about tuning days, money isn't really a good enough excuse not to get out there, I'll be looking onto it in the new year.

Keen for videos showcasing external gate.
Dan [GTI] likes this.
Old 19-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan [GTI] View Post
- chased a small coolant leak from the turbo feed line... again.

Next on my to do list;
- change out a few coolant lines which are turning white and starting to leak.
I had to change the coolant line to turbo recently as well. That piece of hose cops a hammering with regards to hot water coming out of the turbo, even more so with anti-lag use.

When you talk about the lines turning white, that seems normal? Mine do it too, it just rubs off? Dunno what it is. If you're replacing the hoses look for good silicone stuff, and use worm drive clamps where there is high pressure - Looks like you have already in you pics.

The OEM coolant line from the turbo is single ply, which makes it susceptible again to expanding and bursting over time.
Dan [GTI] likes this.

Last edited by RichX; 19-12-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 19-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by garst View Post
Also think you're right about tuning days, money isn't really a good enough excuse not to get out there, I'll be looking onto it in the new year.
Yeah it really is cheap fun and you can run as much (or little) as you want so there is no pressure to be out there every opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
When you talk about the lines turning white, that seems normal? Mine do it too, it just rubs off? Dunno what it is. If you're replacing the hoses look for good silicone stuff, and use worm drive clamps where there is high pressure - Looks like you have already in you pics.
Wipes straight off, a lot of Subaru owners I have spoken to have the same problem on at least one section of coolant line. Will try to replace as much as possible with quality black silicone hosing and reuse the worm clamps where possible.

How is your PERRIN blanket and sheild working to keep the heat away from the clutch / brakes / TMIC? I think the heat was killing my brakes / clutch feel throughout the day. The stock heat shield over the 20G rear housing doesn't cover it very well...

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 19-12-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 19-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Subaru Tech Division

So after some chatting to a few people about my setup and potential areas of improvement, this will be my basic plan of attack. Firstly I am changing the fluid of both my clutch and brakes to DOT 5.1 to help combat some of the turbo heat soak. It should also help with getting a few extra laps out of the brakes.

I will also be doing some basic heat management. Modify the existing heat shield to cover the rear housing better, strategically place heat reflective tape on the brake booster / reservoir and the clutch reserviour to hopefully reduce the effect of heatsoak. Time and effort pending I might make up a simple shield as added protection.

I guess them all I can do is see how much difference that makes on the next tuning session on January 15.
RichX likes this.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 19-12-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 19-12-2015, 09:44 PM

RichX knows their stuff

I tend to find I start to lose the clutch feel after 3-4 laps, specially with antilag on. Not sure if that is normal or not?

Can't see why that would happen when brake fluid is basically the same as clutch fluid, and it is subject to much higher temps in the brake system, than it would be exposed to simply because it's above the turbo? I dunno, perhaps I am wrong.

I have a turbo beanie and downpipe blanket on as well.

Shits me royally, as i struggle to get it into gear. See vid, trying to get it into 3rd.

Dan [GTI] likes this.

Last edited by RichX; 19-12-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 19-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Looking at the location of the reserviours in relation to the turbo it isn't a huge surprise they are susceptible to some serious heat soak... Put Antilag into the equation and it will getting bloody hot even with the beanie / blanket!

I don't expect to get 6+ laps out of my cars setup but if I can get 4 solid laps without any major fade from the clutch / brakes that would be perfect. That way my oil, cooling, brake, clutch and talent are all beyond what I require from a basic track session.

From what I experience on Friday I don't think my goal is unachievable, it may take some weekend DIY and trial and error with heat shields / temp reflective tape.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 19-12-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 19-12-2015, 10:10 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Yeah brakes are pretty easy if you get the right combination. You've got your radiator sorted. TMIC waterspray too. With the HC800's I have, i find they get even better when really hot.

It's all exhaust heat management. Wrap and coat everything where you can if you're serious about it. The guys that run e85 get the luxury of running lower temps more so than petrol as well.

Doesn't help doing track days in 35+ degree days either.
Old 19-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Heat is the enemy! Yeah my track day peaked at 27*c so wasn't too bad.

I figure if it can run 4 laps in 30*c it should be able to handle 99% of what I expect from it on a daily driver / weekend tracker. Especially when winter rolls back around and I get a wet tuning day I can beat on it and know it will last.

Tags
dan, xt