View Single Post
Old 22-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna
body lift and remove the whole assembly from underneath the car.
Stace is 100% right. To expand a little best to leave the hubs attached etc just undo the strut tops. Take the intercooler off.

It is a lot easier than you think to drop the whole thing out.

When you are ready to drop it back in basically you put the engine on the ground and then drop the chassis back on top and then lift the engine up so you can get underneath and bolt it all back up.

Take heaps of pictures before you start pulling it apart so you have some idea where everything like hoses / plugs etc should go.

Me and one other managed to put my engine back in in 1 night after work. Then another night to hook everything back up and then fired her up....

Good luck....just take your time and you'll be fine.

Most common tools are:

10mm - Turbo heat shield etc
12mm - Factory top mount / prop shaft
13mm - Clutch cover only
14mm - Nuts on the back of the turbo / prop shaft cover / gearbox mounts / bell housing
17mm - engine braces
19mm - engine braces

Might pay to get a bit of pipe to slide over your breaker bar cause some of them bolts are bloody tight.

Drown the turbo bolts / nuts in loctite freeze and release... Will make them a lot easier to get off.

If yours is anything like mine you will also need to get a tap because some of the captive nuts need a clean up. From memory they are a slightly weird pitch of 1.25.

Also if you work in an office etc go and buy a pair of mechanics gloves....this shit is gonna get dirty........

Also have a look at the rear main seal when you swap the clutches over. They cost less than $20 and you will never get a better opportunity to swap them over.

Hope this helps a little.

Brendon