View Single Post
Old 30-08-2009, 01:25 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

RICOCHET at standard level
Default A Rant For Dog Owners!!

So today I went down to a shelter (which I frequent often) browsing for a new dog (have been looking for a couple of months). Basicly I'm after a largish male dog (in pup form) as a companion/protection dog. We came across a few until we got shown a Blue Heeler Mastiff X.

He was a pretty cute big fella and seemed good natured, so we filled out the questionare, had a bit of meet with him and started going through the interview process (which I think is a good idea), I explained that I had an older heeler that would need a meet and greet (as she has not liked certain pups in the past) which was a requirement anyway. They then explained that they didn't home pups to full time workers because of the time spent away from the pups (to which I was like WTF) I then explained that I could come home lunch times to spend time with the dogs because I live a couple of blocks away. All good from there.

THEN, they noted that I had a cat (fiancée's) and that he too would need need to come in for a meet and greet. Like WTF do you honestly expect a cat to welcome a little bouncing ball of puppy straight away. So then I said well it shouldn't be an issue as the dogs spend majority of time outside and only come in every now and again. To which the reply was, "Oh well Im sorry but we don't house dogs to homes that wont let them inside ALL the time, they have to feel part of the family, which they wont if they have to stay outside." She then said that we had noted on the form that we let our current dog in the lounge and I said yes but not all the time. And the reply was well you shouldn't of put it down. Basicly Implying that we lied on the form.

Now what pisses me off is a couple of things:
1. The fact that she is implying im a bad pet owner for not letting my med-large dog in EVERY time Im home and therefore not part of my family.
2. It seems that they are ok to give a possible large bred of dog to someone that is potentially an unemployed bum who lets the dog in the house or has no back yard and possibly doesn't exercise them.
3. The way we were treated as a result of the questionare.

Now I don't let my dog inside all the time but she is well feed, has lots of toys, gets alot of exercise (although cutting back as she is getting on a bit), gets brushed a couple of times a week and sleeps in the room on the cooler nights. How does this make me a person who does not "qualify" to adopt a pup?!? Fucken hippies and their BS views! Or am I old school in the fact that large breds of dogs should spend most there times kicking around in the back yard?

What are you thoughts? Also if you know of any largeish breds that need a home let me know...although then again, I am a terrible pet owner

PS this is from a shelter that often advertises that they can never get homes for their dogs.

PPS If your willing to go down there and have a look at this little fella and lie on the form so we can take him home let me know :P. They also have about 9 Blue heeler pups coming up for adoption that just got left to rot. Makes me mad that people do this to animals!!

Last edited by RICOCHET; 30-08-2009 at 01:30 PM.