Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Complaints and Grievances
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-08-2009, 01:25 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

RICOCHET at standard level
Default A Rant For Dog Owners!!

So today I went down to a shelter (which I frequent often) browsing for a new dog (have been looking for a couple of months). Basicly I'm after a largish male dog (in pup form) as a companion/protection dog. We came across a few until we got shown a Blue Heeler Mastiff X.

He was a pretty cute big fella and seemed good natured, so we filled out the questionare, had a bit of meet with him and started going through the interview process (which I think is a good idea), I explained that I had an older heeler that would need a meet and greet (as she has not liked certain pups in the past) which was a requirement anyway. They then explained that they didn't home pups to full time workers because of the time spent away from the pups (to which I was like WTF) I then explained that I could come home lunch times to spend time with the dogs because I live a couple of blocks away. All good from there.

THEN, they noted that I had a cat (fiancée's) and that he too would need need to come in for a meet and greet. Like WTF do you honestly expect a cat to welcome a little bouncing ball of puppy straight away. So then I said well it shouldn't be an issue as the dogs spend majority of time outside and only come in every now and again. To which the reply was, "Oh well Im sorry but we don't house dogs to homes that wont let them inside ALL the time, they have to feel part of the family, which they wont if they have to stay outside." She then said that we had noted on the form that we let our current dog in the lounge and I said yes but not all the time. And the reply was well you shouldn't of put it down. Basicly Implying that we lied on the form.

Now what pisses me off is a couple of things:
1. The fact that she is implying im a bad pet owner for not letting my med-large dog in EVERY time Im home and therefore not part of my family.
2. It seems that they are ok to give a possible large bred of dog to someone that is potentially an unemployed bum who lets the dog in the house or has no back yard and possibly doesn't exercise them.
3. The way we were treated as a result of the questionare.

Now I don't let my dog inside all the time but she is well feed, has lots of toys, gets alot of exercise (although cutting back as she is getting on a bit), gets brushed a couple of times a week and sleeps in the room on the cooler nights. How does this make me a person who does not "qualify" to adopt a pup?!? Fucken hippies and their BS views! Or am I old school in the fact that large breds of dogs should spend most there times kicking around in the back yard?

What are you thoughts? Also if you know of any largeish breds that need a home let me know...although then again, I am a terrible pet owner

PS this is from a shelter that often advertises that they can never get homes for their dogs.

PPS If your willing to go down there and have a look at this little fella and lie on the form so we can take him home let me know :P. They also have about 9 Blue heeler pups coming up for adoption that just got left to rot. Makes me mad that people do this to animals!!

Last edited by RICOCHET; 30-08-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 30-08-2009, 02:20 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

theprotest at standard level

Hi,

Seems like a weird power trip. You have every right to be upset. I wonder what happens after X amount of time to the dog if they don't deem anyone worthy of the ownership?

If they are that worried, they should simply examine your dog to see whether or not you keep him/her healthy.

Not giving animals to people that work seems like a silly policy.

Hope you find a placement soon mate. We all need a hound or two in the house.

FWIW, I have a 12 year old mini Schnauzer, and I've just had a 1 year old Shitzu/Poodle move in to the house. The old girl hasn't looked better, bounding around like a pup herself. They are small dogs, but I keep them outside all day. 100 acre to a lap dog must be like the whole world.

We're obviously both terrible pet owners!

Cheers,
Nik

Last edited by theprotest; 30-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 30-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

saturation at standard level

Yup come across this before and hence why we just now goto breeders. The shelters & the RSPCA bitch and moan about having too many dogs and not having enough space or cash to home them all etc, When you try and do the right thing the the hoops they make you jump through to have one...

Easier to adopt a kid ^^
Old 30-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

I dont think you're oldschool in your thinking mate. I completely agree with you. I own a great-dane cross chocolate lab, and she's a big dog, and NEVER comes inside.
I got her at 8weeks, she slept inside for 1week after that, and she's been outside ever since then.
Old 30-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Pfft. Thats a joke.

Sif have the dogs inside all the time. Our dog gets let inside too often, if you ask me. Because now when we put him out when its not convenient to let him in (eg guests are over) he carries on and whinges jumping up against the door until we let him in again.

No one in our family is home all day every day, but he gets taken for a run across the park every day when we get home. Hes fit and healthy. Admittedly hes not a big dog so our backyard would be plenty for him to entertain himself anyways.

Screw them dude, just go to another place thats not so anal about it all.

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt
Old 30-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

thats bs man.

my previous dogs (german shepard, blue heeler) were only allowed inside when there was a thunderstorm etc. you cant justify letting a big dog in the house!

if shelters wont give up a dog, just get one privately i guess.
Old 30-08-2009, 03:00 PM
STI Master

doadrift at standard level

You should goto Balcatta, we went there to get our Red Cloud and the transition was quick and smooth

Also Dogs are pack animals, Balto is inside with us whenever we are home and sleeps with us aswell. He growls when people are near the house (or outside our bedroom door when people crash here which is good if someone breaks in).

I'm not a big fan of leaving dogs outside to entertain themselves, people say we are stupid and dogs should stay outside but our dog is the happiest dog I've ever seen and hes pretty well behaved isnide now. Tht and hes part of the family! I wouldn't stick my kid outside when I'm 'bored' of him lol.

But yeh I agree all the shit they were saying about not working full time and stuff is stupid. Dont goto that pound.
Old 30-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Subaru Tech Division

wawa at standard level

How weird who would want a medium/large dog inside all the time? I grew up with the dogs being outside and only allowed in at certain times and they sure as hell don't mind being outside, in fact let them in and they want to go back out!

Maybe try another shelter, one of our family dogs is came to us at 6 months old from a shelter and they didn't seem to mind that she would be an outside dog and also be going to work with my dad (he's a tradie)
Old 30-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

zaine at standard level

I would suggest trying some of the shire pounds may take a while to find the right dog. You may be able to leave details with them of what your looking for and they can contact you.First hand experience means i can assure you pups do come in,and unfortunatly if they do not find a home there outlook is pretty bleak if you get my drift.Sounds like your not in a massive rush which is a good thing.
Old 31-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Sir AntiLag

Jim621 at standard level

B4Boy,

i would be taking your complaint to the manager of the pound, because what they have done and said is BS.

the people working there are usually volunteers, so maybe the person you were dealing with just had a bad day or something.

you sound like a person with a genuine interest for owning a dog, and have done the right thing by going to the pound.

good luck with it mate, let us know how it goes

cheers, Steve

Tags
dog, owners, rant