View Single Post
Old 24-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
MY REXTC; what ram do you have in there now?

You won't notice any difference going to DDR3 ram on your dual core. Sure, if you benchmark it and read the numbers there will be a gain, but nothing that will be overly noticeable when using your applications. DDR3 will show a bit of an improvement with Quad Core cpu's and larger caches, etc.

I would definitely buy DDR3 if you *need* new RAM now, as you'll obviously carry the RAM over to your next cpu/motherboard upgrade. I wouldn't buy it just for the sake of expecting it to make a huge difference to your machine. However I guess that depends on what you have in there at the moment.

I currently run a 3.0ghz dual core overclocked to 4.02ghz with DDR2 800mhz RAM. I looked into DDR3 myself only weeks ago and found that it's not worth getting until I change my cpu/motherboard combo.
I run an E8400 @ 4.4ghz on water cooling.....(1950mhz fsb!)

Even going from ddr2-800 to ddr2-1066 is a significant increase in memory bandwidth.....I.e 25%!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]