View Single Post
Old 24-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Sir AntiLag

rubberbudgie at standard level
Send a message via MSN to rubberbudgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trblmkr View Post
Ahh, righto...
I knew turbulence would confuse a MAF but I thought a decent CAI would be MAF friendly. Search function here I come...
The long and short of it seems to be "your pushing your luck modifying a GC8 without some sort of tune ability".
Blindly modding any "stock" car not just a GC8 past anything other than cosmetics or such things as BOV's etc is a sure recipe for disaster. Sure one mod such as a silicone air intake or CAI by itself may be ok but start combining the effects of a few and that's where things can go real bad real quick. And bleed-valve boost controllers are a cheap, nasty and a hit & miss way of doing something that is so critical to the operation of your engine. Beats me why people will spend thousands on cosmetic mods but only spend the least amount possible of something so important....?

And don't even attempt to tune it yourself unless you have at the minimum a wide-band O2 sensor with logging capability, knock ears which can give you a bit of early warning in case of pings (even more important if you aren't using factory knock correction like some ecu's) and a fast response EGT sensor (not so important unless tuning for race conditions or where each cylinder is tuned independantly of each other). And even with all these things, if you don't know what you are doing then you can still damage your engine or at the least make it totally undriveable.

If you want cheap and easy kick-you-in-the-ass power then you can't go past nitrous injection. Done properly ie with the right precautions and with a sensible sized shot it's as safe as houses even on a stock motor