Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

V2 Sti is .7 bar (10psi) stock (v2 sti closed deck engine ran 8.5:1 compression & td05).

V2 sti ecu boost cuts at 1.05 bar just like the RS ecu.

RA ran same engine & 13.5 psi.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 23-04-2010, 09:53 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

92 RS at standard level

hmmm seems ive been misinformed then as i thought the v2 was 13.5 stock and the RA was 15.5 ~ 16psi stock, both running 380 injectors. was there a major difference in the timing and fuel maps between the sti and the sti RA, as i see youve owned one youd be the one to ask...
Old 23-04-2010, 09:55 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

trblmkr at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_GF8 View Post
thats what i thought because its been running the boost tee for 30k with no probs. i couldnt understand why it would damage ur engine if its running stock psi. the only difference is the factory boost cut solenoid is by passed for the boost tee...
I didn't realize you were running a boost T in the standard units place.
Why bother removing all the fail safes for standard boost?
Cant be any benefit in doing it.

As for basic intake mods, as long as the MAF is reading the correct volume of air entering the engine and the fuel system can keep up, wont the standard ecu keep AFR's in check?
Old 23-04-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 RS View Post
hmmm seems ive been misinformed then as i thought the v2 was 13.5 stock and the RA was 15.5 ~ 16psi stock, both running 380 injectors. was there a major difference in the timing and fuel maps between the sti and the sti RA, as i see youve owned one youd be the one to ask...
I haven't owned a V2 STI but I have owned an RS-RA Legacy.

Boost was low because they ran the bigger TD05 turbos.
v2 sti 260 HP (195kw).
v2 RA 275 Hp (205kw).
(at the flywheel)

You'd only need a small amount of additional boost to make that difference, the main changes between the two are the fact that the RA is basically a stripped out lightweight shell.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 23-04-2010, 10:41 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

92 RS at standard level

cool, thanks man
Old 23-04-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trblmkr View Post

As for basic intake mods, as long as the MAF is reading the correct volume of air entering the engine and the fuel system can keep up, wont the standard ecu keep AFR's in check?
In a word NO the stock ecu can't keep the afr's in check.

The ecu is programmed to use the maf signal output as the load reference for the fuel map. Changing the volume of the air column before the sensor and you run into issues where the ecu will swing lean or rich due to either laminar flow in the piping (why long CAI's cause lean out) or turbulent flow past the sensor (why pods mounted to the maf cause slightly richer afr's).

The above is why a MAP sensor is the better way of getting a load reference, MAF's can be fooled - MAP's can't.

The only other feedback the stock ecu has is the narrowband oxygen sensor which is only used for cruise mixture trimming for emission control & economy.

Last edited by Rossco; 24-04-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 23-04-2010, 11:07 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

trblmkr at standard level

Ahh, righto...
I knew turbulence would confuse a MAF but I thought a decent CAI would be MAF friendly. Search function here I come...
The long and short of it seems to be "your pushing your luck modifying a GC8 without some sort of tune ability".
Old 24-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Sir AntiLag

rubberbudgie at standard level
Send a message via MSN to rubberbudgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trblmkr View Post
Ahh, righto...
I knew turbulence would confuse a MAF but I thought a decent CAI would be MAF friendly. Search function here I come...
The long and short of it seems to be "your pushing your luck modifying a GC8 without some sort of tune ability".
Blindly modding any "stock" car not just a GC8 past anything other than cosmetics or such things as BOV's etc is a sure recipe for disaster. Sure one mod such as a silicone air intake or CAI by itself may be ok but start combining the effects of a few and that's where things can go real bad real quick. And bleed-valve boost controllers are a cheap, nasty and a hit & miss way of doing something that is so critical to the operation of your engine. Beats me why people will spend thousands on cosmetic mods but only spend the least amount possible of something so important....?

And don't even attempt to tune it yourself unless you have at the minimum a wide-band O2 sensor with logging capability, knock ears which can give you a bit of early warning in case of pings (even more important if you aren't using factory knock correction like some ecu's) and a fast response EGT sensor (not so important unless tuning for race conditions or where each cylinder is tuned independantly of each other). And even with all these things, if you don't know what you are doing then you can still damage your engine or at the least make it totally undriveable.

If you want cheap and easy kick-you-in-the-ass power then you can't go past nitrous injection. Done properly ie with the right precautions and with a sensible sized shot it's as safe as houses even on a stock motor
Old 24-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
I haven't owned a V2 STI but I have owned an RS-RA Legacy.

Boost was low because they ran the bigger TD05 turbos.
v2 sti 260 HP (195kw).
v2 RA 275 Hp (205kw).
(at the flywheel)

You'd only need a small amount of additional boost to make that difference, the main changes between the two are the fact that the RA is basically a stripped out lightweight shell.
an v2 sti ra delivered a bit more hp then the claimed 275, they also run closer to 16 psi, then they do to 13 psi, they will hit boost cut a little after 16 psi though (i think 1.1 bar).

compare a torque curve between them, the RA carried power for much longer into its range.

Long live the WRC
Old 24-04-2010, 08:03 AM

Thanks Stace ^^

I haven't seen anything comparing the two and have only read the 'official' Subaru spec's.

Tags
boost, risks, tee