View Single Post
Old 21-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvA_ View Post
So its definite that its illegal to have a GD STI with carbon bonnet?.. i know there's a grey area with carbon bonnets on most japanese cars, how 'some are void legal if vents don't face back etc, or the car itself must be built prior/before a certain year' You see a heap of imports running carbon fibre bonnet's on the streets, would they deemed "illegal"? Like I've seen probably more that 5 wrx's/sti's with carbon bonnets driving around my area NOR. weird, mite call the DPI to hear what they have to say.

Will go see subaru again to double check if the price they gave me was for a wrx or sti.

Thanks kato for opur input
DPI had better say they are 100% illegal!

Their reasoning in the past is that the carbon fibre shatters where a steel/aluminium bonnet will bend. Shattering carbon fibre bits are not nice if you hit a pedestrian.

The reason it is such a grey area, is yes there are people rolling around with them. Eventually the popo may catch up with them. Also there are cars with CF panels that are ADR compliant. However, Subaru didn't release the cars with CF bonnets, so you would have to get it engineered to be legal.

Also most of the CF bonnets you can buy are the same or heavier than aluminium bonnets. So why bother!