Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvA_ View Post
So if possible, I'm thinking carbon bonnet?
Carbon fibre bonnets are illegal and asking for a yellow sticker, so don't go down this route please. A nice aluminium bonnet will just be as light and not illegal! Also a quality carbon fibre bonnet will cost more than the price Subaru wants for a bonnet.

Quote:
A wrx and sti bumper are the same am i correct?
No, GD STi front bumpers have an additional cut out for the side splitters, which the WRX front bumper doesn't have. You can make the splitters fit a WRX bumper, but it's best to get an STi one if you have an STi.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Scoobie Noobie

EvA_ at standard level

So its definite that its illegal to have a GD STI with carbon bonnet?.. i know there's a grey area with carbon bonnets on most japanese cars, how 'some are void legal if vents don't face back etc, or the car itself must be built prior/before a certain year' You see a heap of imports running carbon fibre bonnet's on the streets, would they deemed "illegal"? Like I've seen probably more that 5 wrx's/sti's with carbon bonnets driving around my area NOR. weird, mite call the DPI to hear what they have to say.

Will go see subaru again to double check if the price they gave me was for a wrx or sti.

Thanks kato for your input

Last edited by EvA_; 21-10-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 21-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Carbon fibre bonnets are definately illegal as they don't pass ADR's due to shattering in an accident and possibly injurying bystanders etc.

The ones you see around are doing it at there own risk and any cars that genuinely have CF bonnets from factory will be ok and there bugger all of those.

So if you want to get one then do it at your own risk but be aware you might get reemed for it, also these CF bonnets going around are usually carbon laid over fibreglass which makes it heavy.

If you want the CF look then just get a normal alloy bonnet and get the CF wrap put on top, that way it's legal and still looks good.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 21-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
So its definite that its illegal to have a GD STI with carbon bonnet?.. i know there's a grey area with carbon bonnets on most japanese cars, how 'some are void legal if vents don't face back etc, or the car itself must be built prior/before a certain year' You see a heap of imports running carbon fibre bonnet's on the streets, would they deemed "illegal"? Like I've seen probably more that 5 wrx's/sti's with carbon bonnets driving around my area NOR. weird, mite call the DPI to hear what they have to say.

Will go see subaru again to double check if the price they gave me was for a wrx or sti.

Thanks kato for opur input
DPI had better say they are 100% illegal!

Their reasoning in the past is that the carbon fibre shatters where a steel/aluminium bonnet will bend. Shattering carbon fibre bits are not nice if you hit a pedestrian.

The reason it is such a grey area, is yes there are people rolling around with them. Eventually the popo may catch up with them. Also there are cars with CF panels that are ADR compliant. However, Subaru didn't release the cars with CF bonnets, so you would have to get it engineered to be legal.

Also most of the CF bonnets you can buy are the same or heavier than aluminium bonnets. So why bother!

Tags
and then god lay his massive cock on thy roof, attempted drunken helis = fukd car and shed, damage, don't fuck with stratco sheds, man wanted with regards to hitting a light pole, my03, no insurance = idiot? please discuss, perfect excuse to go a widebody, roof, rooting on the roof of your car is a bad idea, sti