View Single Post
Old 18-01-2011, 01:58 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Jon911 at standard level
Default Paypal - Watch Out

Hi Guys,

As some of you may have seen - I was trying to sell some of my rims online. Anyway, I posted an ad on gumtree and this customer seemed very interested. It started to get a little suspicious when he said he needed to post to the UK, and that it would cost 1K. Surely to buy a new set would have been cheaper than wheels + postage. Anyway, he decided to pay for wheels + postage via paypal, which I said was okay.

I got an email from paypal saying that instant payment was recieved, which i was quite surprised about. Then I got an email from paypal saying that they had debited his account, the money was ready to go, but for security reasons I would have to pay that $1000 postage via western union money transfer and send them a copy of the receipt before they would realease the full amount. This got me a little bit suss, so i called up paypal to check on the transaction... and voila! no such transaction.

Dodgy mofos.

So if anyone uses paypal in the future, if the transaction doesn't show on your history of your paypal account - beware that it's not real.