Thread: amp trouble
View Single Post
Old 23-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Sir AntiLag

Darren at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Darren

Common misconception with amps and splits is to try to give them more power by bridging amplifiers. While there is a lot of truth to "too much power is never enough" (my personal mantra), the problem with bridging most amplifiers is that you lose a lot of control (or damping). What this means is basically you can send the speakers more power (and make them louder) but you lose the accurate control you need for speakers and they start to sound sloppy. I'd rather relatively loud music that sounds good over really loud music thats distorted anytime.

As for the cutting out and going into protection, I'm unsure why it's doing that. If your amp is brigeable (which it is if it says 2/3/4 channel on it), then it should cruise along with your configuration, unless it is mis-wired somehow or a physical fault. Just high-pass the speakers about 80hz (make sure both sides are the same highpass frequency and gain) and you'll get good results. You won't get any bass but splits were never designed to give bass, just midbass, midrange and highs.

Hope this helps.

Darren