View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 03:26 PM
STI Master

huggy_b knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird View Post
Hey guys, just a quick thought...

I'm just wondering why the government doesn't introduce a percentage speeding fine system, instead of the fixed system currently employed.

For example, instead of having set fines for 4-9kmh over the posted speed limit, they employ a method for 10-20% over, 20-30% over etc.

I think this would be a lot fairer, as on country roads, 130 in a 110 zone is a lot less serious than 80 in a 60 zone.

It would also encourage smarter driving, as situational awareness would be a higher factor in deciding to speed or not.

I know we'll never be able to get rid of the speeding fine system, even though there is evidence to banish it, but if we make our current system more logical, such as the idea i just proposed, or variable speed limits, it might be a bit more bearable when we get our speeding ticket in the mail.

Thoughts?
To say doing 130km/h in the country is less serious is erroneous - the likelihood of being a fatal crash is much higher. No roadside barriers, far greater speed = increased impacts and less time to react, generally further away from medical assistance and so fourth.

Its not an argument I would use to sway the case.....