Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Complaints and Grievances
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Sir AntiLag

bird at standard level
Default Speed Fine System

Hey guys, just a quick thought...

I'm just wondering why the government doesn't introduce a percentage speeding fine system, instead of the fixed system currently employed.

For example, instead of having set fines for 4-9kmh over the posted speed limit, they employ a method for 10-20% over, 20-30% over etc.

I think this would be a lot fairer, as on country roads, 130 in a 110 zone is a lot less serious than 80 in a 60 zone.

It would also encourage smarter driving, as situational awareness would be a higher factor in deciding to speed or not.

I know we'll never be able to get rid of the speeding fine system, even though there is evidence to banish it, but if we make our current system more logical, such as the idea i just proposed, or variable speed limits, it might be a bit more bearable when we get our speeding ticket in the mail.

Thoughts?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Fair and logical are two words that do not exist in the State Government's vocabulary. They have been replaced with with the word revenue, and the term bend-over.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Most Perth drivers can barely deal with changing speed limits for road works, so a variable system wouldn't work.

A percentage system would be fairer to the motorist, not to the bank balance of the state government. Therefore won't happen.

Unfortunately we live in a time where they can make massive money out of this hoax that speed kills. All that we will see is the cost of penalty units on fines increase to 'help' the road toll until a real politician steps in and tries to fix the real problem on our roads - attitude.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:45 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

freak at standard level

sadly that would require the government to stop with the speed kills mantra that is running strong within the walls of parliament house and i really can not see that becoming a reality anytime soon

in principle your idea has merit but you would have a hard time selling it to the blind masses that believe the smoke and mirror show on the news channels and the politician spin doctors
Old 06-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Sir AntiLag

bird at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
sadly that would require the government to stop with the speed kills mantra that is running strong within the walls of parliament house and i really can not see that becoming a reality anytime soon
The idea i'm proposing still encourages this premise, but in a more logical way. It would encourage people to slow down in busier, residential areas, while still being able to safely overtake on a country road without the constant trepidation of getting a speed fine.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

logic and government are two words that are completely incongruent
Old 06-01-2012, 03:26 PM
STI Master

huggy_b knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird View Post
Hey guys, just a quick thought...

I'm just wondering why the government doesn't introduce a percentage speeding fine system, instead of the fixed system currently employed.

For example, instead of having set fines for 4-9kmh over the posted speed limit, they employ a method for 10-20% over, 20-30% over etc.

I think this would be a lot fairer, as on country roads, 130 in a 110 zone is a lot less serious than 80 in a 60 zone.

It would also encourage smarter driving, as situational awareness would be a higher factor in deciding to speed or not.

I know we'll never be able to get rid of the speeding fine system, even though there is evidence to banish it, but if we make our current system more logical, such as the idea i just proposed, or variable speed limits, it might be a bit more bearable when we get our speeding ticket in the mail.

Thoughts?
To say doing 130km/h in the country is less serious is erroneous - the likelihood of being a fatal crash is much higher. No roadside barriers, far greater speed = increased impacts and less time to react, generally further away from medical assistance and so fourth.

Its not an argument I would use to sway the case.....
Old 06-01-2012, 03:44 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

road kill...roos, emus, wedgetail eagles...much more dangerous in the bush
Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Sir AntiLag

bird at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy_b View Post
To say doing 130km/h in the country is less serious is erroneous - the likelihood of being a fatal crash is much higher. No roadside barriers, far greater speed = increased impacts and less time to react, generally further away from medical assistance and so fourth.

Its not an argument I would use to sway the case.....
Point taken. Maybe using the freeway with a lower chance of accident would be a better example (minimal pedestrians and animals).
Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 PM
STI Master

Bob at standard level

The theory is that speeding anywhere is dangerous. You won't ever see a stance that suggests speed in some environments is less so.

Last edited by Bob; 06-01-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Tags
fine, speed, system