View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level
Default Advice required or factual opinions

Guys,

I am gonna be doing some more work to the Blue Banger on break & I want a bit of info on what other people actual findings have been in a similar situation. I know I can call workshops but I wanted to get people opinions on here as I am hoping to improve my times at the next Rally Sprint & gain knowledge.

This car is a track only car. I can drive it to and from events, but apart from that its not allowed on the road.

These questions have been answered numerous times, but....I have searched on here & other sites and found multiple answers. So I thought I would ask again myself, as my situation is not a street car.

FMIC V's TMIC.

So I have 2 options & to be honest both are about as difficult as each other. FMIC is self explanatory, but there is a fair amount of work so I have found to fit the later "non slanty" TMIC.

1. Get rid of the slanty V1 & 2 mounted TMIC for a later 99 sized TMIC
2. Fit a FMIC

How much extra lag is there? I am guessing for a track situation the lag / throttle response is going to be hard to detect, apart from tight corners or of the line?

Suspension settings.

I know everyone's car is different & probable more so driving styles, but, using the last Rally Sprint as the guide below, as that's all I have to go off for now, can you offer any info or advice please?

I have a set of STD coilovers in there with about -3 deg camber in the front and about -2 in the rear. Car sits pretty low, but not stupid low. Dampners harder in the front, 4 clicks from the stiffest out of 12, 6 clicks on the rear so in the middle.

I have not had it on a set of scales to see what the weight distribution is as yet, but I will soon hopefully.

Car sits slightly higher at the back than the front. About 8mm.

Tyres Federal RSR's I was running 38 psi in the front and 40 in the rear pressure wise as on the recon laps my side walls were folding at 30 lb ish, & that was just putting around. I could have let them down a bit I guess during the night, but as I said I was getting to know the car & the track.

I still only have standard sway bars & most of the car is gutted interior wise. So I would expect the rear end to be pretty light, but it did not want to kick out.

My questions here is, I still could feel the slightest under steer in the car coming out of the corner. It turned in fine, just after the apex, I started to notice the under steer ever so slightly, gradually getting worse, to the point I backed off the gas pedal.

How do I fix the under steer coming out of a corner without affecting the turn in and mid corner characteristics? To be honest I want the car to obviously be as neutral handling as possible, but I would prefer a slight amount of overseer opposed to under steer. Is this all in after market swaybar's & swaybar stiffness?

Thread HERE on what the car has had done & future mods once I get back from work

Any input appreciated

Simon.