Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level
Default Advice required or factual opinions

Guys,

I am gonna be doing some more work to the Blue Banger on break & I want a bit of info on what other people actual findings have been in a similar situation. I know I can call workshops but I wanted to get people opinions on here as I am hoping to improve my times at the next Rally Sprint & gain knowledge.

This car is a track only car. I can drive it to and from events, but apart from that its not allowed on the road.

These questions have been answered numerous times, but....I have searched on here & other sites and found multiple answers. So I thought I would ask again myself, as my situation is not a street car.

FMIC V's TMIC.

So I have 2 options & to be honest both are about as difficult as each other. FMIC is self explanatory, but there is a fair amount of work so I have found to fit the later "non slanty" TMIC.

1. Get rid of the slanty V1 & 2 mounted TMIC for a later 99 sized TMIC
2. Fit a FMIC

How much extra lag is there? I am guessing for a track situation the lag / throttle response is going to be hard to detect, apart from tight corners or of the line?

Suspension settings.

I know everyone's car is different & probable more so driving styles, but, using the last Rally Sprint as the guide below, as that's all I have to go off for now, can you offer any info or advice please?

I have a set of STD coilovers in there with about -3 deg camber in the front and about -2 in the rear. Car sits pretty low, but not stupid low. Dampners harder in the front, 4 clicks from the stiffest out of 12, 6 clicks on the rear so in the middle.

I have not had it on a set of scales to see what the weight distribution is as yet, but I will soon hopefully.

Car sits slightly higher at the back than the front. About 8mm.

Tyres Federal RSR's I was running 38 psi in the front and 40 in the rear pressure wise as on the recon laps my side walls were folding at 30 lb ish, & that was just putting around. I could have let them down a bit I guess during the night, but as I said I was getting to know the car & the track.

I still only have standard sway bars & most of the car is gutted interior wise. So I would expect the rear end to be pretty light, but it did not want to kick out.

My questions here is, I still could feel the slightest under steer in the car coming out of the corner. It turned in fine, just after the apex, I started to notice the under steer ever so slightly, gradually getting worse, to the point I backed off the gas pedal.

How do I fix the under steer coming out of a corner without affecting the turn in and mid corner characteristics? To be honest I want the car to obviously be as neutral handling as possible, but I would prefer a slight amount of overseer opposed to under steer. Is this all in after market swaybar's & swaybar stiffness?

Thread HERE on what the car has had done & future mods once I get back from work

Any input appreciated

Simon.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:47 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

definately go fmic imo. i went topmount to fmic on a liberty rs & noticed no lag difference. cooler intake temps ftw.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Fmic also removes the massive heat sink above your inlet manifold, and makes working on the car easier in that area.

fuck tmic

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Yeah I have read that if it's tuned correctly its hardly noticeable. Saying that I have also read that it can give upto 800 rpm of extra lag / throttle response time

Simon.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Jordiee at standard level

^^^
there is most definitely a lag difference between the two, it's physically impossible for there not to be due to the longer piping
Old 03-02-2012, 06:55 PM

p.s the undsteer is going to be there with stock sways - go a rear leave the front as is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordiee View Post
^^^
there is most definitely a lag difference between the two, it's physically impossible for there not to be due to the longer piping

How so? How does a front mount increase lag? Does it also remove timing from the ecu, or increase the size of the compressor?

It may affect throttle response coming onto boost, but the turbo will still make the same psi at the same rpm.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

size your piping correctly and theres sfa difference. cooler intake temps, resistance to ping, more power etc etc. its a no brainer really
Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Jordiee at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
How so? How does a front mount increase lag? Does it also remove timing from the ecu, or increase the size of the compressor?

It may affect throttle response coming onto boost, but the turbo will still make the same psi at the same rpm.
i dont know m8

all i know is that when i've driven similar wrx/sti's (tune,turbo,engine,etc) and it's a tmic vs a fmic i've noticed a difference relating to when the turbo comes onto boost and how hard

which is probably a throttle response thing

@ norrrrwest rumbla
im not arguing against the use of a fmic, i'm just commenting on the response
as for being a no brainer, i think if it was, there wouldn't be so many people asking for advice on the subject
Old 03-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

With the lag I see it like this. Yes there is more volume to fill of pressurised air prior to reaching the throttle body. However a turbo is not on or off, it progressively builds up volume and along with it pressure, until it gets into its effiency range. By the time the turbo is in its sweet spot the FMIC piping will be mostly pressurised?

TJ - that is pretty much what I have read, sway only

Simon.

Tags
advice, factual, fmic, opinions, required, suspension settings