Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Captain Awesome at standard level
Default Turbo not spooling after 5k rpm? (07 STI) (Updated with Subaru's response....)

Hi guys,

So something i've never encountered before on any car has popped up this evening.
Previously, As I accelerated the boost would continue steadily pretty much until I changed gears (or redline, which I don't do), but tonight the boost goes up till about 4-5k rpm and then just stops. I used to always be able to hear the turbo at work, and still can if I change gears around 3-4k. But any higher and I don't hear anything, just engine noise. It's like the turbo just stops working once it's hit 4000rpm Please for the love of god tell me it's just a boost leak?
Has anybody had experience with this issue? Car is a stock 07 STI except for catback.

Perfect timing it's booked in for a 60,000km service at subaru tomorrow, but i'd really like a heads up or any information to know what i'm in for.

Cheers,
Chris.

EDIT:
Just an update, Subaru have just called me and told me it's "over boosting" .... ?Saying that the previous owner may have messed around with the computer or something. Previous owner being an older gentleman who took pride in saying he'd kept it unmodified, I find it hard to believe - but hey people do lie.

Told me they can't do anything and i'll need to take it somewhere that has a dyno... Pretty unhappy with the service.

Does anybody have any ideas? And also know of anywhere I can take it - Obviously i'm really really not interested in spending thousands and thousands on a tune when all I want is this stupid issue fixed and factory tune kept. I find it hard to believe it has anything but a factory tune and ecu as it behaves pretty much exactly like every other STI i've driven.

Oh god please help. Lol.

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 09-02-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Its unlikely to be a boost leak as you would here it whistling on boost. They are usually quite loud.
It sounds like its on wastegate pressure, like you have a boost control issue.
Best let the professionals look at it.
Make sure you take the foreman/ workshop controller for a drive so they can experience it.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 08-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Is your clutch slipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Hi guys,

So something i've never encountered before on any car has popped up this evening.
Previously, As I accelerated the boost would continue steadily pretty much until I changed gears (or redline, which I don't do), but tonight the boost goes up till about 4-5k rpm and then just stops. I used to always be able to hear the turbo at work, and still can if I change gears around 3-4k. But any higher and I don't hear anything, just engine noise. It's like the turbo just stops working once it's hit 4000rpm Please for the love of god tell me it's just a boost leak?
Has anybody had experience with this issue? Car is a stock 07 STI except for catback.

Perfect timing it's booked in for a 60,000km service at subaru tomorrow, but i'd really like a heads up or any information to know what i'm in for.

Cheers,
Chris.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mao View Post
Is your clutch slipping?
Nope
Old 08-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Could be the wastegate malfunctioning, but I am sure Subaru wil sort it out for ya.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Could be the wastegate malfunctioning, but I am sure Subaru wil sort it out for ya.
Ah, I'm really hoping so. Thanks for the wisdom Mao, I'll see what they have to say tomorrow
Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Just an update, Subaru have just called me and told me it's "over boosting" .... ?Saying that the previous owner may have messed around with the computer or something. Previous owner being an older gentleman who took pride in saying he'd kept it unmodified, I find it hard to believe - but hey people do lie.

Told me they can't do anything and i'll need to take it somewhere that has a dyno... Pretty unhappy with the service.

Does anybody have any ideas? And also know of anywhere I can take it - Obviously i'm really really not interested in spending thousands and thousands on a tune when all I want is this stupid issue fixed and factory tune kept. I find it hard to believe it has anything but a factory tune and ecu as it behaves pretty much exactly like every other STI i've driven.

Oh god please help. Lol.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Lol. Retuning the boost lower will not be a prob as long as the mixtures are right.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Lol. Retuning the boost lower will not be a prob as long as the mixtures are right.
Is this something you can do Mao? I think they are way off the mark with their assessment.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Was your engine and cruise light permanently on?

Tags
07, 5k, rpm, spooling, sti, turbo