View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Captain Awesome at standard level
Default Turbo not spooling after 5k rpm? (07 STI) (Updated with Subaru's response....)

Hi guys,

So something i've never encountered before on any car has popped up this evening.
Previously, As I accelerated the boost would continue steadily pretty much until I changed gears (or redline, which I don't do), but tonight the boost goes up till about 4-5k rpm and then just stops. I used to always be able to hear the turbo at work, and still can if I change gears around 3-4k. But any higher and I don't hear anything, just engine noise. It's like the turbo just stops working once it's hit 4000rpm Please for the love of god tell me it's just a boost leak?
Has anybody had experience with this issue? Car is a stock 07 STI except for catback.

Perfect timing it's booked in for a 60,000km service at subaru tomorrow, but i'd really like a heads up or any information to know what i'm in for.

Cheers,
Chris.

EDIT:
Just an update, Subaru have just called me and told me it's "over boosting" .... ?Saying that the previous owner may have messed around with the computer or something. Previous owner being an older gentleman who took pride in saying he'd kept it unmodified, I find it hard to believe - but hey people do lie.

Told me they can't do anything and i'll need to take it somewhere that has a dyno... Pretty unhappy with the service.

Does anybody have any ideas? And also know of anywhere I can take it - Obviously i'm really really not interested in spending thousands and thousands on a tune when all I want is this stupid issue fixed and factory tune kept. I find it hard to believe it has anything but a factory tune and ecu as it behaves pretty much exactly like every other STI i've driven.

Oh god please help. Lol.

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 09-02-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Update