Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Jordiee at standard level

i said same block and heads, which ommits a block which has for example been machined or has different head gaskets, or is down compression in comparison to the other block

timing would be a big difference but the cars i drove had no timing advances over stock, it was just af/r correction
Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

I'd pm Blues about front v tmic.

I think he's got back to back lap time comparisons.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

A VF24 would be a good option for a turbo, should be able to pick one up second hand for about $350-$400.
Used to be the go for Group N.
Also, as far a top mounts go, what about a GD WRX one? They're a decent size increase over a GC.
But I think a decent FMIC would be the best option, like MR 2 said, setup properly.

As far as understeering, a decent wheel alignment would also help. A bit of toe out at the rear helps. Along with a stiffer rear swaybar.

Forget the PFC. Get an Autronic or a Link, or even a Vipec, much better throttle response with the speed/density mapping.
Plus on board logging, and if you really want it, anti-lag, launch control, and traction control.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

TL;DR replies, But

Why not fit a fmic, reversed, then just keep the piping size to the 'optimal' width, and then tune any lag out? Personally, for short circuit stuff, a bigger tmic would do the job too. Just get IC waterspray etc..?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlib View Post
excuse accepted, and i stand correct about the TD04 then hahaha. How much are you willing to spend, if you don't mind me asking?
The least amount as possible. No diffs, no fancy shit, a whiteline rear sway yes, I just want to get the optimum out of what I have & i know there is an optimum, & I think I am not there yet. I still have to keep focused o building thhis 2.35 stroker build that will end up going in this hacker eventually. Unfortunately its taken a bit of a back burner at the moment, due to having a bit of fun in this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Two View Post
If you do a FMIC properly... Flipped cooler, pipes under the headlights, rotated compressor cover... fuck all lag over a TMIC.

A China spec kit with 10 meters of fully sick 3 inch pipes is going to suck hard.
The FMIC is a good kit, its just not possible, I don't think to upside down the core due to it coming with the pipework already as a kit. I mean I could upside it, but that would mean custom pipework or modification to the pipes it comes with. A cost I don't really wanna have over a tiny bit of lag "potentially"

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk7 View Post
A VF24 would be a good option for a turbo, should be able to pick one up second hand for about $350-$400.
Used to be the go for Group N.
Also, as far a top mounts go, what about a GD WRX one? They're a decent size increase over a GC.
But I think a decent FMIC would be the best option, like MR 2 said, setup properly.

As far as understeering, a decent wheel alignment would also help. A bit of toe out at the rear helps. Along with a stiffer rear swaybar.

Forget the PFC. Get an Autronic or a Link, or even a Vipec, much better throttle response with the speed/density mapping.
Plus on board logging, and if you really want it, anti-lag, launch control, and traction control.

Because I have a series 1 with a slant mount, what I have read its hard enough fitting a 99 WRX intercooler let alone a STI one John size wise. I am also not 100% sure but because I have a 4 plug ECU, I am not sure on the compatibility or should I say availability of other ECU's over the PFC. besides I have the FC now & the datalogit, so for now it is what it is in that sense.

Plenty of people do fine with a PFC, so i am not too streesed about the ECU choice at all. I'm not interested in antifag as it destroys turbos pretty quickly. Lauch control is another nice to have but not necessary & traction control is boring

A turbo is a turbo and the difference between one or another over a FMIC or a TMIC is essentially the same, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV View Post
TL;DR replies, But

Why not fit a fmic, reversed, then just keep the piping size to the 'optimal' width, and then tune any lag out? Personally, for short circuit stuff, a bigger tmic would do the job too. Just get IC waterspray etc..?
I know Kim what you are saying FMIC V's TMIC hence the initial question. My STI has 340+ HP & over 420nm ATH with the STI TMIC & its fine, its just these newer / later model inter coolers are a karnt to fit due to the early layout of the inlet manifold, idle control valve & some brace on the firewall to the gearbox. I think? I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying its the same amount of work to fit the TMIC to the FMIC? In terms of hours spent on it.

What I lose in throttle response down low, will I gain in power due to colder inlet temps? I don't know how much flow the TD05 16G (I know its relatively small) puts out & if at 17 or 18 psi the TMIC over a 3Km track will be out of its range & start to get hot, ecu starts to pull timing?

Cheers for all the comments and advice guys, keep it coming, a good discussion is always good for everyone.

Simon.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

for what you're doing i think a half decent tmic with a hobbs pressure switch to activate some waterspray from your washer bottle would be enough. simple, effective, not cost prohibitive. just my thoughts.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

just fit a fmic - reversed or not and be done with it.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

Ok consensus seems to be n favour of the FM. I will do a initial power run as the car is now. Fit the all the shit I have bought and see if I Warick can keep the spool up time within the same region on the dyno chart.

Not a fair comparison I agree, but it will show if a FM can be tuned to suit an application over a TM.

Now apart from a rear sway bar, can anyone else comment about suspension? John (Kato) I'm waiting to see what you have to say. Russ you seem to know a bit about over steer, any thoughts, & no I cant afford a DCCD box

Simon.

Last edited by RoughStilin; 04-02-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

v-mount
Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

tommo at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
Youve driven the same car back to back with a tmic, then fitted with a fmic immediately after?

For the sake of the most obvious, I am going to say no.

Lag is the time it takes for a turbo to produce positive boost pressure.

Throttle response is an entirely different thing.

People hear some forum guy spout "lag" and then take it as truth.

redlib has a good piece of advice - do a rear diff at the least if you can - will transform the car.
I have driven my old car back to back when I took the big fridge off the front and yes it made a difference.. Throttle response/lag either way the car doesn't pull as hard till higher in the rev range due to the front mount so I don't know why people get so worked up about the terminology.. The end result is still the same..

But if your going to get the 2.35 motor in there eventually simon are you going to go front mount then? Maybe save some hassle doing it now if you are.. But my v5sti one is here if ya want slap it on.. Or see how my china spec goes hopefully soon !

Tags
advice, factual, fmic, opinions, required, suspension settings