View Single Post
Old 18-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Scoobie Noobie

S15ahrez at standard level

cheers for the warm welcome guys!!

My thoughts on Evo vs STI? i had a feeling this would be coming up soon! Evo boys been asking me the same!

Let me see if i can split it into categories and then compare. This is by no means based on ALL Evo's/STI's, but just the ones i had/have.

Power delivery : My Evo had that hint of lag up till 2500rpm, and then the power would come in brutally fast and hard and then ween out after 3rd gear. It would get you from 0-100km very very fast but lost out on top end, and i don't mean crazy speeds like 200km/h, but around 130-140km/h.

The STI has virtually no lag. Power comes in heavy and fast all the way to red line and still going strong till the end of 4th gear. It feels like it still has more and more to give throughout the rev range. The torque is just unbelievable. Moves like a freight express train.

Handling : Evo probably has this one in the bag for me i am afraid, but not by much at all. The steering response and direction changing capabilities of the Evo is by far the best i have experienced in a road car. Getting the Evo to go sideways was no easy task, the grip honestly felt endless. Weirdly enough, this kind of killed a bit of the fun going around corners for me, on the track it was brilliant no doubt, but on the street it was all discipline and focus.

The STI (with numerous handling/suspension mods), seems very much on par with the Evo. The steering response and feel isnt quite exactly there but you know exactly what kind of surface you are on and the movement of the tyres. Taking fast corners in this thing is just amazing, very race car like feel, no roll, no lift, just firm and flat. And if you want to have a bit of fun, it will let you sensibly have that fun. And i love that.

Comfort : STI hands down on this one. Far more comfy seats, comfier ride, 6th gear is a lifesaver and my mum approves tremendously. The Recaro's in the Evo looked and felt like they came straight from a track race car, and the support was awesome but since i used as a daily, driving home after 12 hour shifts wasn't the most fun.

I can go on and on but i think to summarize the two,
The Evo is a like a thoroughbred race horse, and the STI is like a thoroughbred race horse who has been kicked up the bum. And i wouldn't have it any other way. Its just brilliant in every way and sense.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to S15ahrez For This Useful Post:
American Dave (18-09-2012), Cinaber (18-09-2012), monzaskd (18-09-2012), Soksta (18-09-2012), tinno (18-09-2012)