Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Scoobie Noobie

S15ahrez at standard level
Default Re-Intro : Back in Blue

Hey guys,

Over a year ago i joined this forum looking for a replacement for my S15, was initially looking for a bug eye STi or something within that price range. However being an Evolution fan, i managed to find a really good deal for an Evolution VII. It was stock as a rock and over the year i made plenty of mods to it to get it up to the spec that i was looking for. It was an absolutely fantastic car with razor sharp handling and hard hitting acceleration.

Recently i found myself getting used to the power and wanted to spend a bit more cash on it. Then i thought, maybe i should save the cash, and upgrade to something that possibly has the driving characteristics that i seek. I set myself a budget and scoured through the net to find something suitable, had a look at European vehicles, a few Japanese, but in the end i realized it just had to be either another Evo or an STi. I chose not to look at other Evo's since the mods that i had done to my Evo, made it drive and perform like a modified 8 or 9. I thought i needed something different to experience and tinker with. Hence i made up my mind on the 2006 STi. I stumbled across Steve's for sale add on this forum and inquired about his vehicle. Before i knew it, within a space of 2 weeks, my vehicle was sold and Steve's 2006 STi was purchased. I am sure you guys know the work he has done to the vehicle.

The condition Steve kept the vehicle in was just impeccable, not surprising giving his honest and professional nature. Driving the car i seem to get that massive grin in my face once again, the driving characteristics of the STi compared to the Evo are different and yet similar. I knew there and then, i have made the perfect choice and welcomed myself into the Subaru World!

I hope to run into you guys sooner or later on the roads!

Anyways, enough of my long winded story, here are some pics!

My S15 when it was stock

Kind Regards,
Shahrez
Old 18-09-2012, 04:53 PM
STI Master

Tiigga at standard level

Welcome to the Forum
And well done on the new purchase
looks FECKING awesome
Old 18-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

kid at standard level

Welcome....what are your thoughts on EVO vs STI?
Old 18-09-2012, 05:03 PM
STI Master

Slap Dash knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid View Post
Welcome....what are your thoughts on EVO vs STI?
Welcome & Ditto to the above question

Having a modern day PC without an SSD is like hiring a hooker for hugs.......
Old 18-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Welcome, and nice pickup.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 18-09-2012, 05:18 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Welcome to the world of dak daks and welcome to the jungle that is perth-wrx. Enjoy that pig sti as much as Steve did and you will be grinning all the time.
Old 18-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Scoobie Noobie

S15ahrez at standard level

cheers for the warm welcome guys!!

My thoughts on Evo vs STI? i had a feeling this would be coming up soon! Evo boys been asking me the same!

Let me see if i can split it into categories and then compare. This is by no means based on ALL Evo's/STI's, but just the ones i had/have.

Power delivery : My Evo had that hint of lag up till 2500rpm, and then the power would come in brutally fast and hard and then ween out after 3rd gear. It would get you from 0-100km very very fast but lost out on top end, and i don't mean crazy speeds like 200km/h, but around 130-140km/h.

The STI has virtually no lag. Power comes in heavy and fast all the way to red line and still going strong till the end of 4th gear. It feels like it still has more and more to give throughout the rev range. The torque is just unbelievable. Moves like a freight express train.

Handling : Evo probably has this one in the bag for me i am afraid, but not by much at all. The steering response and direction changing capabilities of the Evo is by far the best i have experienced in a road car. Getting the Evo to go sideways was no easy task, the grip honestly felt endless. Weirdly enough, this kind of killed a bit of the fun going around corners for me, on the track it was brilliant no doubt, but on the street it was all discipline and focus.

The STI (with numerous handling/suspension mods), seems very much on par with the Evo. The steering response and feel isnt quite exactly there but you know exactly what kind of surface you are on and the movement of the tyres. Taking fast corners in this thing is just amazing, very race car like feel, no roll, no lift, just firm and flat. And if you want to have a bit of fun, it will let you sensibly have that fun. And i love that.

Comfort : STI hands down on this one. Far more comfy seats, comfier ride, 6th gear is a lifesaver and my mum approves tremendously. The Recaro's in the Evo looked and felt like they came straight from a track race car, and the support was awesome but since i used as a daily, driving home after 12 hour shifts wasn't the most fun.

I can go on and on but i think to summarize the two,
The Evo is a like a thoroughbred race horse, and the STI is like a thoroughbred race horse who has been kicked up the bum. And i wouldn't have it any other way. Its just brilliant in every way and sense.
Master D, rjb, tinno and 2 others like this.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to S15ahrez For This Useful Post:
American Dave (18-09-2012), Cinaber (18-09-2012), monzaskd (18-09-2012), Soksta (18-09-2012), tinno (18-09-2012)
Old 18-09-2012, 06:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Cinaber at standard level

Welcome
nice house and collection of cars you've had

Thanks for the feedback as well with the above question from the boys. Hopefully puts to rest some lingering thoughts these guys have had of moving to an evo *cough* Tin, Tommy*cough*.
Was wondering what sort of mods you had done to the evo?

btw, theres the CM Annual cruise this sunday if you have time to come down
http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/events-n...nt-2012-a.html
and a pre-meet for our models too if you can make it
http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/events-n...etup-cmmc.html
Old 18-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Subaru Tech Division

kid at standard level

Heheh good reply mate....i need to talk to more evo owners to suss out what's what....for my friend who is thinking of buying one.

kekeke

Oh how's the fuel consumption on the evo by the way?

I get around 400-450 from a full tank until the light comes on....stock 06 sti.
Old 18-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Tommy you can't leave us!

Welcome mate, nice purchase there!!

Tags
back, blue, reintro