View Single Post
Old 28-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

chevZ at standard level
Default Rattle in Rear End (MY11 WRX)

Hey Guys,

So i've got this odd issue.. well it's not really odd but meh.. Here's the story

Car was fine,
Put Coilovers in, wound coilovers down quite low (sitting over tyre on 17s and 18s) and now I hear this rattle in the rear end whenever i hit a bump.

I took it back to Mao at EvoR and got both rear dampeners replaced in the coilovers just out of suspicion.. but nope noise still there. We're pretty sure it's not the coilovers themselves because the shocky works fine when you go over smooth bumps (you can feel it depress and it doesn't make any noise).

Long story short; put it down to rear links causing the noise (because everything's tight and looks fine).

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this sound from MY08+ WRX's (Mine is MY11 in particular) and how they fixed it.

It's like a tinny rattle sort of sound that (to me) sounds like it's coming from the passenger rear wheel/tower.. however may be coming from both sides and just louder on passenger side.

If it helps the sound is noticably quieter with smaller/lighter rims, and tightening the dampener setting only makes the noise louder (I guess because the shocky is hardly working with it tightened up).

Any input appreciated before I go replacing the rear links with whiteline stuff and to be honest just guessing until the noise stops.

Cheers