Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

chevZ at standard level
Default Rattle in Rear End (MY11 WRX)

Hey Guys,

So i've got this odd issue.. well it's not really odd but meh.. Here's the story

Car was fine,
Put Coilovers in, wound coilovers down quite low (sitting over tyre on 17s and 18s) and now I hear this rattle in the rear end whenever i hit a bump.

I took it back to Mao at EvoR and got both rear dampeners replaced in the coilovers just out of suspicion.. but nope noise still there. We're pretty sure it's not the coilovers themselves because the shocky works fine when you go over smooth bumps (you can feel it depress and it doesn't make any noise).

Long story short; put it down to rear links causing the noise (because everything's tight and looks fine).

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this sound from MY08+ WRX's (Mine is MY11 in particular) and how they fixed it.

It's like a tinny rattle sort of sound that (to me) sounds like it's coming from the passenger rear wheel/tower.. however may be coming from both sides and just louder on passenger side.

If it helps the sound is noticably quieter with smaller/lighter rims, and tightening the dampener setting only makes the noise louder (I guess because the shocky is hardly working with it tightened up).

Any input appreciated before I go replacing the rear links with whiteline stuff and to be honest just guessing until the noise stops.

Cheers
Old 28-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Sounds like noisy pillow balls in the strut tops.

Especially if the car has been lowered a fair bit and the spring preload is quite low, the pillow balls wouldn't have enough tension on them when the spring unloads over bumps, causing the rattle when they recompress.

Raise the car back up slightly and set the spring preload correctly, see if that fixes it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BALISTC For This Useful Post:
chevZ (28-11-2012)
Old 28-11-2012, 02:28 PM

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

^^ try this first.

On the rear left hand lower control arm is a small sensor, when I had my OEM suspension put back in this wasn't put back into place and was making some noise when it moved, I would check this (would have seen it when you were looking at the rear end links).

Did you disconnect the end links to confirm if they were the cause of the noise?

Any chance that the noise it coming from the real parcel shelf?
I know from personal experience that it can give off a couple of unique noises (especially the clip covers).

If the design of the Whiteline HD Rear End Links hasn't changed, I would recommend not using them.
Had a bad experience where the design led to one of the end links failing and took a few small chunks out of the sway bar.

If you need something urgent, I have some Kart Boy end links that you can have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soksta For This Useful Post:
chevZ (28-11-2012)
Old 28-11-2012, 02:41 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Drewski at standard level

I have an annoying rattle that sounds like the folded seat isn't hooked in properly. Comes from the same point you are talking. I Notice it more on the freeway than anything. Haven't had a chance to pop into a dealer to get it looked at yet.

Car is stock too. If I find anything out I will post in case it helps.
Old 28-11-2012, 02:56 PM

chevZ at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
Sounds like noisy pillow balls in the strut tops.

Especially if the car has been lowered a fair bit and the spring preload is quite low, the pillow balls wouldn't have enough tension on them when the spring unloads over bumps, causing the rattle when they recompress.

Raise the car back up slightly and set the spring preload correctly, see if that fixes it.
Hmm!

The spring preload is set to whatever Mao at EvoR Set it to, I have only changed the height but left the preload the same. Any idea what the 'correct' preload is? (STD R3 Coilovers if that helps)

I'm more than confident that if i raise it that the sound will probably go away.. But I don't want to, because it's as high as I ever want it at the moment :P.. So if i raise it won't that still leave me at square one (guessing what is causing it when lowered)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
^^ try this first.

On the rear left hand lower control arm is a small sensor, when I had my OEM suspension put back in this wasn't put back into place and was making some noise when it moved, I would check this (would have seen it when you were looking at the rear end links).

Did you disconnect the end links to confirm if they were the cause of the noise?

Any chance that the noise it coming from the real parcel shelf?
I know from personal experience that it can give off a couple of unique noises (especially the clip covers).

If the design of the Whiteline HD Rear End Links hasn't changed, I would recommend not using them.
Had a bad experience where the design led to one of the end links failing and took a few small chunks out of the sway bar.

If you need something urgent, I have some Kart Boy end links that you can have.
Definitely not a rattle from the parcel, this is pretty noticably only on sharp bumps in the road and definitely coming from the wheel somewhere.

I have not disconnected the rear links to see if this changes anything, however links are an easy replacement so i'm happy to just change them and see if it fixes it .. i guess i was hoping someone would post saying "Yep I changed the links and its all fixed!!"

Oh really?? how much do you want for the kartboy ones then? If they are a goer i'll give them a shot first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
I have an annoying rattle that sounds like the folded seat isn't hooked in properly. Comes from the same point you are talking. I Notice it more on the freeway than anything. Haven't had a chance to pop into a dealer to get it looked at yet.

Car is stock too. If I find anything out I will post in case it helps.
The sound you're probably talking about Drewski is a rear parcel shelf rattle, I also had that (It's super super common on MY11/MY12's) I just jammed a piece of stubby cooler between parcel shelf and windscreen to stop that one, although dynamatting will also fix - Search the issue on NASIOC there's a full breakdown of it.

Cheers for the ideas guys!
Old 28-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevZ View Post
Oh really?? how much do you want for the kartboy ones then? If they are a goer i'll give them a shot first.
Will have to find the documents and costs tonight, will flick a PM your way later on.

Quote:
The sound you're probably talking about Drewski is a rear parcel shelf rattle, I also had that (It's super super common on MY11/MY12's) I just jammed a piece of stubby cooler between parcel shelf and windscreen to stop that one, although dynamatting will also fix - Search the issue on NASIOC there's a full breakdown of it.
  • remove parcel shelf and adhere carpet to the underside
  • place dynamat on the metal shelf
  • place foam tape on back of the parcel shelf trim (where it touches the window)

Haven't had a rattle since
Also helps to have those child restraint caps removed, they move around a fair bit as well!
Old 28-11-2012, 06:31 PM

chevZ at standard level

On this note guys - do any of you have a link to a full front+rear sway bar/end link/mount kit on the net??

Curious to price one up to see how much it would be to just do everything in one hit.
Old 28-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Won't be the upper pillows as rear struts are not Macphersons on the late model Subarus like the earlier GC and GDs.

Chev, best is to find a day next week and disconnect the rear links to see if the noise is from the links. Rear Shocks on the late model Subarus connect to the same arm as the linkages and this is usually the issue.

Will take a look at the rear parcel shelf too. Edit: Oops you have already Sussed that one out.

Cheers.
Old 28-11-2012, 07:11 PM

chevZ at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mao View Post
Won't be the upper pillows as rear struts are not Macphersons on the late model Subarus like the earlier GC and GDs.

Chev, best is to find a day next week and disconnect the rear links to see if the noise is from the links. Rear Shocks on the late model Subarus connect to the same arm as the linkages and this is usually the issue.

Will take a look at the rear parcel shelf too. Edit: Oops you have already Sussed that one out.

Cheers.
Yep sent you a PM to sort out a day and how long it will take Mao!

If anyone else has run into same issue please holla, experiences appreciated!

Cheers
Old 28-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Sir AntiLag

b32 at standard level

Quote:
On this note guys - do any of you have a link to a full front+rear sway bar/end link/mount kit on the net??

Curious to price one up to see how much it would be to just do everything in one hit.
Hey mate, I bought this front & rear endlink combo for $227 delivered to Perth, which was cheaper and quicker than getting them from the US which I originally was going to do.

2008+ Impreza Kartboy Endlinks Combo - ENTRA Imports

Havent installed yet. I have fkd up noises coming from my rear suspension too. Join the club
The Following User Says Thank You to b32 For This Useful Post:
chevZ (28-11-2012)

Tags
end, my11, rattle, rear, wrx