Thread: cut and polish
View Single Post
Old 16-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

SyncSubaru at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUSSUTE View Post
That does not need a respray. That is oxidization of the paints surface. I have always been able to keep the paint on all my cars in perfect condition, no matter what age. (If anyone has seen my version 6 it looks like the paint is wet its that shiny).
Get yourself a paint cutting pad and a angle grinder. Fit the cutting pad. Go down to a paint shop (not supercheap). And get some good quality cutting compound. Cut the paint back twice.
Apply some kitten polish. Paint will look like brand new again.
It may not come back to showroom condition (as there are sections that are scratched and paint has pealed) but it will bring it back to a very decent condition.
Can be done for $50 compared to a $1000 respray
This is very dangerous and makes me cringe. A dual action polisher with cutting compound is much safer. However I would recommend you try applying some Meguiars Ultimate Compound or ColourX by hand first and see how it comes up. You dont want to attack anything with power tools (let alone an angle grinder...) if you don't know what you're doing.

-Edit-
Just to add, not saying it wont work, but this sort of thing in the hands of somebody untrained can cause irreversible damage to the paintwork, so its best to start soft and work your way up from there, instead of let-er-rip, burn through the paint, and be stuck going oh shit and definitely needing the respray.

Last edited by SyncSubaru; 16-12-2013 at 04:39 PM.