View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level
Lightbulb 99 Liberty RX - a DIY daily

Hi folks,

Have decided to post up my daily, so I can share DIY projects of the car and maybe help others learn and appreciate their own cars.
All EJ engine are fairly similar in design, so a cheap daily like this one can be a great opportunity to get some experience under the hood without the risk of costing $$$$

So, I picked the car up off Gumtree with a possible head gasket problem, faded paintwork, scratched bumpers, a loose and noisy transmission, and a noisy intermittent stereo. All said and done, I think it was $1200 all in.

Once taking ownership of the car, I got to work straight away looking up and ordering parts I would need to fix the car.
  • Clutch kit = $327, eBay
  • Shifter linkages & bushes ~ $70, Chaplins Subaru
  • Rear tailgate, Japline
  • Climate control unit, Japline
  • Full gasket set ~ $130, eBay

Once all the parts had come in, another 'Subaru nerd' came over one weekend and we got stuck in. We dropped the fluids, disconnected all the ancillaries and pulled the engine out.

We attempted to film the progress using just a GoPro, and actually managed to get a decent amount of (albeit shaky) footage. Will be piecing together all of the footage related to pulling out the engine and post it up as 'part one' of the work on the car.

Next round of filming should hopefully flow a little better now that I have reviewed the initial round!

Edit - here is a link straight to the Youtube playlist for the DIY on this car: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Njgjlr44iHE3fe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (104.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled2.jpg (109.1 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Jezza; 04-05-2015 at 10:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jezza For This Useful Post:
dnbosiris (02-05-2015)