Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level
Lightbulb 99 Liberty RX - a DIY daily

Hi folks,

Have decided to post up my daily, so I can share DIY projects of the car and maybe help others learn and appreciate their own cars.
All EJ engine are fairly similar in design, so a cheap daily like this one can be a great opportunity to get some experience under the hood without the risk of costing $$$$

So, I picked the car up off Gumtree with a possible head gasket problem, faded paintwork, scratched bumpers, a loose and noisy transmission, and a noisy intermittent stereo. All said and done, I think it was $1200 all in.

Once taking ownership of the car, I got to work straight away looking up and ordering parts I would need to fix the car.
  • Clutch kit = $327, eBay
  • Shifter linkages & bushes ~ $70, Chaplins Subaru
  • Rear tailgate, Japline
  • Climate control unit, Japline
  • Full gasket set ~ $130, eBay

Once all the parts had come in, another 'Subaru nerd' came over one weekend and we got stuck in. We dropped the fluids, disconnected all the ancillaries and pulled the engine out.

We attempted to film the progress using just a GoPro, and actually managed to get a decent amount of (albeit shaky) footage. Will be piecing together all of the footage related to pulling out the engine and post it up as 'part one' of the work on the car.

Next round of filming should hopefully flow a little better now that I have reviewed the initial round!

Edit - here is a link straight to the Youtube playlist for the DIY on this car: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Njgjlr44iHE3fe
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg   Untitled2.jpg  
matto20v, AWDmoke, zver333 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Jezza; 04-05-2015 at 10:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jezza For This Useful Post:
dnbosiris (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 PM
STI Master

ALLPAWS at standard level

Gramps, PWRX style?
matto20v likes this.
Crotch Rockets . . .
Old 03-05-2015, 12:04 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Have just finished making the video. It's a bit rough, but I think it came together ok for a first attempt. We filmed it all just using the gopro, so it shook a bit and had a few mic issues and hands covering the screen lol, but was good fun!

I've now realised that there are a few bits of the removal of ancillaries that we didn't cover in the video, like the throttle cables, fuel lines and wiring, but hopefully we can cover it off better in the video where everything goes back in.

Editing was just done with windows movie maker, so again, pretty rough stuff but was getting the hang of it towards the end and have some more ideas to make further videos a bit better to watch. It's going to take 10hrs to upload to youtube, for a 10min video in 720!!! Nuts, I think I need to start paying for the higher speed plan with my connection if I was to do this regularly!

Confidence speaking to the camera is a whole new thing that I haven't experienced before... I've done speeches, headed meetings, been on a microphone before, but speaking to an audience I couldn't see and didn't know was weird! Given time and practice, I am hoping to get better

I guess the videos are largely influenced by MCM, as I am a big follower of them, but if I can get good at them and continue to produce them, I think I would take it in a different direction. This is only a bit of fun for the moment though, so not taking it too seriously

Last edited by Jezza; 03-05-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Ok here it is, let me know what you lot think!

https://youtu.be/43MdQbgnpj4
matto20v, Patch and s20525xxx like this.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:20 AM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Top work!!!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:07 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Hopefully the next one isn't as lame, and I get the audio levels right with a more consistent camera shot!

This video doesn't seem to play on mobile devices due to copyright, Youtube tells me it won't play in some countries such as Germany. Seems to play on PC just fine.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Have got the heads off now, and it's pretty clear that they were leaking badly. The mating surfaces of the block and the heads are actually very good compared to another one I have seen before, so with a good cleanup and a fresh head gasket, it should be sweet.

Looking at the combustion chamber & pistons however, a couple of the cylinders seem to have a lot of oil in them, and a couple seem to be running lean (pink spark plug?)

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Edit - Seems the black residue on the pistons and heads may just be residue from the coolant etc seeping into the cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
S1080002.JPG   S1080003.JPG   S1080004.JPG   S1080005.JPG  

Last edited by Jezza; 04-05-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:06 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Second video - pulling the intake manifold, timing gear and heads off the block - completed and uploaded.

https://youtu.be/_4DcBeULK74

Still a bit rough in editing, but a better camera this time, however I did this one solo, so no one to hold the cam etc.

Will be taking the flywheel in today or tomorrow to get machined and a new bearing fitted.

Now comes the challenge of getting the work to the car done around my 'real job'!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:22 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Daaaamien at standard level

I Just had sex on the soundtrack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Second video - pulling the intake manifold, timing gear and heads off the block - completed and uploaded.

https://youtu.be/_4DcBeULK74

Still a bit rough in editing, but a better camera this time, however I did this one solo, so no one to hold the cam etc.

Will be taking the flywheel in today or tomorrow to get machined and a new bearing fitted.

Now comes the challenge of getting the work to the car done around my 'real job'!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaaamien View Post
I Just had sex on the soundtrack?

Something random, why not!

Tags
99, daily, diy, liberty, rx