Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 30-05-2015, 07:17 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Mad build, love it.

What would you do different second time round?

Saw you punt this around RAC first round this year it looked awesome, smooth and quick.

Sell me your carbon shaft or get the fuck out.
Thanks. Yeah car goes alright in the dry. I dropped like 15 seconds in the space of 4 runs that day. It was my first day out. And i reckon with more experience under my belt, the car could go ALOT faster. As you can see with the build, i havent gone for dyno bragging fairy tale figures. Ive put alot of work into making the car handle well. And be exceptionally responsive.

If i was doing it again Id do these things different. (This isnt in order of importance, just in order that it comes to me.)

Firstly. I wouldnt waste so much money on "bullshit" mods that dont really do anything. If you look through that shopping list on page 2. You can see ive basically got every mod ever made for subarus. Realisticly, alot of them do very little. So instead of going for max number of mods, Id concentrate on most effective mods.

Secondly. When i bought alot of the sti conversion parts, i bought them piece-meal individually ticking off each part. Instead if doing it again, id just buy/commission a cut that had everything i needed in one go. So for this build for example id chase down an 06/07 sti cut. And id chase down an 05 sg sti cut. Then combine them for the ultimate forester. Which is basically what ive done, only i bought each part seperately and paid a premium.

Thirdly. Id have an end goal of where i wanted the car to end up. With this build i just kept adding to it bit by bit. I didnt have a clear end picture of where it was heading. I just wanted to build the most mental forester. I ended up buying alot of parts that i didnt even use, because i found even more upgraded parts by the time i went to bolt them on. So i doubled up on alot of stuff. Also, if i had of known i was going to build a circuit orientated forester. Then id strip everything, get the body blasted, a cage welded in, then fully painted before i start on the rest of the mods.

Forth. As mentioned, i would not get a 6spd from a 2L sti. I just dont agree with the ratios. Id hunt more for a 2.5L 6spd. Or maybe look at biulding a hybrid box from a long ratio lib/foz and combining it with sti diffs. Or Id use the money i saved by not buying bullshit mods, doubling up on mods, and piece-mealing all the parts together, and put it towards a sequentially shifting, dog gear 6spd. (Because race forester)

Fifth. Id go more mental on the engine build. Bigger turbo, more head work. CD'ed and sleeved. Aftermarket managment and more horsepower.

If i was doing it all again. Thats all id change. Id still go a early SG forester because i just love the cars.