View Single Post
Old 23-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo6556 View Post
Not interested in some stupid boot subs drowning out bass on songs and ruining the drive.
erm, subs create bass, they don't drown it. Sounds to me like you have heard nothing but shit audio setups and/or cheap, muddy subs that are playing a clipped signal. A well set up sub (ie. ample power and the appropriate volume enclosure) will add to the system, not detract from it. Fair enough if you don't want one because racecar weight, but you're not going to get the sound you seem to be expecting without one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo6556 View Post
deep, quality crisp sound throughout the car.
As stated above, you're not going to get "deep" sound from drivers in the doors. Deep comes from cone area. If set up correctly (dynamat on the doors, speakers secured on MDF spacers) you will get punchy mid-bass. You could have the speakers play down to 40hz or all frequencies and they will just distort when you start increasing the volume to a reasonable level. eg. they won't be crisp at high volume. The more simple the system, the more compromises you will have to make.

In regards to "sound throughout the car", I'll be blunt here - fuck throughout the car and fuck passengers. If you want a quality setup you will want to create a true stereo sound that is in front of you. You haven't mentioned a budget which really makes it difficult for people to make any concrete suggestions in terms of brands and level of equipment, but I will suggest you forget about rear parcel shelf speaker and rear doors speakers.

That money is far better spent purchasing a higher end, better quality set of 2-way components (aka "splits" - 6.5" driver, tweeters and matching crossover) and getting them installed correctly - doors sound deadened and a good position for your tweeters. In a quality setup you will want a head unit which will have 4 volt preouts for a clear signal to your amp(s) and you should look for one which has time alignment. This will let you delay the speaker(s) closest to you so that you can centre the sound image in the middle of your dash. The aim - get the vocals sitting on top of your dash, or even higher. This will also give you an even left stage and right stage and therefore accurate sound.

Half the shit I've said may not be relevant if you're on a stupidly tight budget, but I'm making suggestions based on your use of the words quality and crisp.

More info/help if you want it, when/if you state a budget

Last edited by TROLLEY; 23-07-2015 at 11:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TROLLEY For This Useful Post:
bumpstop (24-07-2015)