Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level
Default Fitting the new wing

Hey guys. Got my STI wing at ATEC for some painting at the moment, pick up next week. I am trying to save $100 by fitting it myself. Anyone fitted one before and have any advice for doing it right in good time? I have the small blade type GX looking wing on at the moment so that's gotta come off, so hopefully all the holes line up and nothing gets scratched. Any advice appreciated!!
Old 28-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

u should get them to fit it, as its it alot of muking around to save $100.

U would need atleast 3 ppl imo. The GX boot holes should fit perfectly to the ones on the sti bootlid. for 01-current models not sure about the GCs

If u get a piece of cardboard or the like and push the bolts through on the spoiler this will give u a template in which to drill the holes.

Place the template that u have created on the bootlid and get some old bolts and nuts and fix the template from the orginal GX holes. Tape the template and surrounding bootlid as u dont want to have shavings scratching the paintwork.

As for drilling, u can make a pilot hole from the topside of the bootlid, but u would have to drill from the underside of the bootlid as u would have to file down the hole.

Now for a drill bit i would use a holesaw bit??

thats how i would attempt it anyway.
Old 28-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Powered by BP98

Cheers for that, but i'm sure the holes will all line up and everything. it's just the wing comes in two pieces plus all the bolts, spacers and even double sided tape for some reason?!!! Once I get the old one off it should be a piece 'o' piss. Just don't want to put it on and first trip down the freeway have it fall off and smash into itty bitty bits or hurt someone. Ken at ATEC said if holes don't match or if you ever want to stick something on without drilling just to use Sikaflex. I know the stuff and have used it before but there is no way that stuff is going anywhere near my ride.
Old 28-04-2007, 11:48 AM

BALISTC knows their stuff

If you've already got a wing on there, and are bolting on an STi wing..its about a 10 minute job, definitely save yourself the $100.
Old 28-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Powered by BP98

that's what I was hoping. Got 2 carton's to see me through JIC
Old 28-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC
If you've already got a wing on there, and are bolting on an STi wing..its about a 10 minute job, definitely save yourself the $100.

Joe hes only got a GX wing that has 4 bolts, an sti wing has atleast 15 bolts to fix.. so he has to drill holes, definately not a 10min job.
Old 28-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle
Cheers for that, but i'm sure the holes will all line up and everything. it's just the wing comes in two pieces plus all the bolts, spacers and even double sided tape for some reason?!!! Once I get the old one off it should be a piece 'o' piss. Just don't want to put it on and first trip down the freeway have it fall off and smash into itty bitty bits or hurt someone. Ken at ATEC said if holes don't match or if you ever want to stick something on without drilling just to use Sikaflex. I know the stuff and have used it before but there is no way that stuff is going anywhere near my ride.

And i wouldnt be using sikaflex to fix it, great stuff, but bolting is the way to go.
Old 28-04-2007, 12:59 PM