Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

tthomas417 at standard level

I think it just looks nice visually, especially on mine (black, wide body). I will probably just do the boot and spoiler and forget about the bonnet. I do need to comment though, a lot of "reasons and laws" here in Australia around not doing things to cars are completely false in terms of the reasons for their existence. For one, dry carbon fibre (the real stuff) does not splinter, it breaks away. For those that don’t know, all F1 formula cars are completely Carbon Fibre because instead of it absorbing the impact like steel, it breaks apart and dissipates it. That is how an F1 car can crash at over 200 MPH and the driver still get up and walk away. Many drivers would not survive in that sport if not for carbon technology. Secondly, BOVs are not bad for the environment, even when they are not recirculating ones. The gases released by a BOV are no different than those that come from exhaust and would ultimately end up coming out of the exhaust. The laws against these simply exist because those items are considered to be a nuisance. Ok, getting off the soap box now.
Old 13-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

As you said, the carbon fibre breaks apart. The issue the law has with that is those 'shards' could injure a pedestrian that you hit etc. You can buy cars that come with carbon panels, but because they are designed for them it is acceptable. Some potentially china crap fitting bonnet stuck on some GC8 probably isn't the same level of construction. As it is not possible to determine the 'quality', they are deemed illegal unless the car comes with them from factory.

Issue with blow off valves is that you are emitting gasses that have not passed through a catalytic converter and a lot of them exceed the maximum noise levels of 92dB.
Old 13-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

tthomas417 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
As you said, the carbon fibre breaks apart. The issue the law has with that is those 'shards' could injure a pedestrian that you hit etc. You can buy cars that come with carbon panels, but because they are designed for them it is acceptable. Some potentially china crap fitting bonnet stuck on some GC8 probably isn't the same level of construction. As it is not possible to determine the 'quality', they are deemed illegal unless the car comes with them from factory.

Issue with blow off valves is that you are emitting gasses that have not passed through a catalytic converter and a lot of them exceed the maximum noise levels of 92dB.
That is why I said dry carbon. Not a lot of chinese dry carbon brands floating around. The bigger issue is that even if you did get a formula grade one, it would still be banned as the government has offered no certification process for carbon fibre AND no engineer would certify it as a one off. Have to disagree with you on this. The BOV release is minimal and if you look at the number of cars running here with busted cats it is still no where near as bad for the environment as those vehicles.

There is always a way to make crap illegal and I have to say a lot of it is non-sensical and is just part of a campaign to keep everyone in that pallet of grey instead of dealing with letting people have a wack at what they want on their vehicles. The vast majority of the stuff that is banned poses no substantial threat to merrit the heavy regulation.
ImPreSiV likes this.
Old 13-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I do agree that a lot of it is crap, but how does a cop determine a dry carbon bonnet from a china copy? How does the guy at the pits know the bonnet design is suitable in crash tests? How does your insurance company know how the bonnet will fair if a pedestrian hits it?

Due to so many questions, it is far easier to make it illegal.

Same for the BOV. Does it emit gases that haven't passed through a catalytic converter. Yes. Therefore it is illegal. Sure there are other cars around that are illegal too from not being maintained, but it is far easier to be found out when your car makes a stupid noise when you change gears. Therefore you get targeted.

I'm not saying I agree with them all, but that is the reasoning why they are banned.

There's lots of things that have blanket bans due to the dickhead factor of Australia. Unfortunately it breeds more dickheads and more stupid banning/laws for the country. (I want a friggin airsoft toy farken)

If you think WA is bad, don't try any of these mods in NSW!
tthomas417 likes this.
Old 14-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Impreza Factory 3rd Brake Light 2006-2007, SubaruGenuineParts.com
tthomas417 likes this.

Tags
aftermarket, bonnet, brake, light, spoiler, sti