Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

MikeRX99 at standard level
Default Bonnet scoop

Hi guys. Wondering what issues you've had with bonnet scoops. I picked up a new bonnet with scoop and vents pretty cheap on the weekend, and thought I'd have a quick look at legalities of putting a scooped bonnet on a non turbo car. Doesn't appear to be any issue but it may be issue from size of the scoop.

Found this link starting on page 12.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...Jan2011_v3.pdf.

Won't actually know until it goes on and don't really want to do this yet (feels kinda wrong having such a bold looking bonnet and RX engine behind it). Other part of me just wants to chuck it on to see how it looks and this will happen some time soon.

Doesn't look any bigger than the Sti scoops so shouldn't be a drama but just checking if this is going to ask for regular cop stops or not. It's a monsta scoop if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0289.JPG  
Old 31-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRX99 View Post
thought I'd have a quick look at legalities of putting a scooped bonnet on a non turbo car. Doesn't appear to be any issue but it may be issue from size of the scoop.
Can't imagine there would be any real issue.

It is a pretty tame mod and the cops will probably bother you more for thinking it is a WRX rather then the scoop being there.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 31-12-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 31-12-2013, 04:58 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

to the op I say trust your feelings on this subject
Old 31-12-2013, 07:33 PM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

I have heard of people being hassled about scoops such as these but I dare say they gave the police reason to target them - if you don't draw attention to yourself it *should* be fine.
The fact it appears to be carbon (shattering in impact concerns) may also be an issue but again, don't give them reason and it should be okay. Make sure it is nice and secure too!

I had an alloy STI bonnet with 22B vents and the standard GC8 scoop on mine pre-turbo and no-one raised any concerns.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Sir AntiLag

drewgong at standard level

i think height can be a problem but any of the subaru scoops are not going to be an issue.. cops might measure up your hornet scoop if you put one on these days..
Old 01-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Nikt3ndo at standard level

Pretty sure if you have a scoop it needs to be sealed i.e the tmic seals onto the scoop air duct. If you converted to a fmic I think you might find the scoop without the seal of the tmic becomes illegal. This happened to a mate of mine anyway. So having a non turbo with a hole in the bonnet with no seal would technically be the same. Then again depends on the cop also. Don't take this as gospel but that's what I've been led believe.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikt3ndo View Post
Pretty sure if you have a scoop it needs to be sealed i.e the tmic seals onto the scoop air duct.
That doesn't make sense at all. I am trying to think of a reason that this would be but can't think of any?

The only thing it that larger debris / water could make it's way into the engine bay... but that can happen with a sealed unit also.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikt3ndo View Post
Pretty sure if you have a scoop it needs to be sealed i.e the tmic seals onto the scoop air duct. If you converted to a fmic I think you might find the scoop without the seal of the tmic becomes illegal. This happened to a mate of mine anyway. So having a non turbo with a hole in the bonnet with no seal would technically be the same. Then again depends on the cop also. Don't take this as gospel but that's what I've been led believe.
I'm sorry but WTF?
Is this what your mate got told or an assumption?
The seal has nothing to do with being illegal or not, it's there so the air gets directed to the tmic
Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I have heard of people being hassled about scoops such as these but I dare say they gave the police reason to target them - if you don't draw attention to yourself it *should* be fine.
The fact it appears to be carbon (shattering in impact concerns) may also be an issue but again, don't give them reason and it should be okay. Make sure it is nice and secure too!

I had an alloy STI bonnet with 22B vents and the standard GC8 scoop on mine pre-turbo and no-one raised any concerns.

Carbon fibre bonnets is the issue with impact
Not the scoop
Old 02-01-2014, 01:56 AM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

wrx oh oh at standard level

Nikt3ndo
That may be correct.
'Seal' in this case does not refer to the fit to the intercooler but 'closed off' so that flames or blowback from the engine bay cannot get out.
That is why the 2 vents on the GC model hood/bonnet are each closed with a sealing plate. They are removed when off road for better ventilation. Solution- just install a metal blanking plate under the scoop, paint it matt black so it is not obvious.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrx oh oh For This Useful Post:
Nikt3ndo (06-01-2014)

Tags
bonnet, legal modifications, scoop