Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level
Default speaker upgrade

hi peoples just wondering what speakers people have upgraded to in the bug eye wrx onwards. The factory Speakers actually rock pretty hard they are factory splits which is quote good and off the amp they go very well.
so to up grade going to a basic cheap split would be pointless, so im thinking somthing along the lines of mbquartz or type r alpines.

now question is one what sorts of splits do people recomend for $300 to $400 range for front and same for back doors

second is what sizes fit with least modification. i know the back doors are very hard to fit anything decent in. but anyway i have never taken my door panels off yet so havnt tried any as such.

any ideas before i buy them would be great. im looking for somthing that i can crank and have clear sound with out distortion. obviusly no bass ,

i did always love my double sets of mb quartz i had in my proton front doors very good speakers.

Thanks in advance

Tim
Old 05-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Tim,

you can pretty much put anything you want into the front doors but you may need to use a spacer to keep it away from the window when its fully down inside the door...

as for rear's you have heaps of width to work with but stock 4" in the rear so you'll have to do some metal fabrication to get anything bigger in.

As for buying speakers for front and rear's unless your planning on running a competition stereo, dont bother about spending the same money on the back as you do at the front. Even some competition stereo's don't have rear speakers as they are mostly useless. I have kicker fronts (shit IMHO, they are making way for MB Quartz soon) and just 4" Audiobahn rear's which are only fillers. All running off a 600w 4 channel. And thats fine for listening to normal music at a decent volume.

As for brand's stear clear of Sony, Pioneer or Kicker.

I've heard the new JVC range and i am a big wrap for JVC, and MB Quartz are always good if you wanna spend the coin, aswell as Lightning Audio etc..

Tip is, go speak to someone at Westside or something and tell them what you want, im sure they will be happy to help you.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:19 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

james_gray at standard level

I went for focal splits in front, left the rears, and got a focal sub in the boot. Sounds awesome... very clear. Also, if you can afford it, dynamat as much as you can, as that improves the sound.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:40 PM
STI Master

feral at standard level

Ive got the 06 model , i have fitted 6 inch in each of the front doors and another two 6 inch under the dash with 2 inch silk tweeters in the original mouldings and twin 3 inch silk tweeters in the dash these speakers in the doors fitted up to the door trims except for grinding off a bit of plastic that hit the mountings , in the back i used 5 3/4 inch speakers which took a fair bit of modifying to get to fit due to they were 4 inch holes and also to find a place for the crossovers all speakers i have used are the new cdt audio kevlar series which have a short mount to magnet length . I have gone for more quality than bass and have only a single pioneer twelve in my boot . The amp which i am using is one of the new dynamic audio 6 channel 2205's . The speakers which i have been keeping an eye on the moment are the new jvc series they sound great for the price .
Old 05-12-2006, 09:08 PM
STI Master

confuzion at standard level

I can tell you now to forget about Type R Splits. I had a hard hard time to get mine to fit. I had to make very thick angled spacers, which them of course makes problems for the trim. Get something that isnt as deep.
I chucked some Jaycar 5" from memory in the rears.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Flat Four Father

Yeah i dont want bass so much i want to be able to turn it up and from out side the car even be absolutly clear good midrange and treble. iv always been a fan of mb quartz. the backs im prob not to worried about but they are good for getting the sound more out there as u say fillers.

i wouldnt touch sony pioneer or the likes anyway lol im probably more tossing up between alpine or mb quartz.

so front doors will be first off the mark. all running off amps of course.

feral where did u fit the dash ones ? i would love to have a listen of ur stereo some time ..

tim
Old 05-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Flat Four Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuzion
I can tell you now to forget about Type R Splits. I had a hard hard time to get mine to fit. I had to make very thick angled spacers, which them of course makes problems for the trim. Get something that isnt as deep.
I chucked some Jaycar 5" from memory in the rears.

yeah i remember ur post or for sale add saying that .. reason for my post basically. but from memory mb quartz arnt as deep as type r alpines.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

when it comes to car audio nothing is better than focal.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:38 PM
STI Master

JMAX is unrated

Running Focal V-Slims. Drop straight in without any mods.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Flat Four Father

mr_psi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to mr_psi

dont worry bout them cheap brands like alpine and kicker etc... use somethin quality like focal or even better boston acoustics... bostons are the best goin around at the moment

Tags
speaker, upgrade