Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Motorsport > F1 Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Ambitious but Rubbish...

Saint_23 is a guruSaint_23 is a guru
Default F1 teams body backs down on breakaway competition threat

F1 teams body backs down on breakaway competition threat

Quote:
Formula One's world governing body the FIA and the F1 teams association FOTA agreed there will be no break-away championship next season following talks in Paris to ward off a threatened split.

"There will be no split - there will be one championship in 2010," said FIA president Max Mosley, who has agreed not to seek re-election to his post as part of the deal.

"We have reached agreement on a number of items. In particular we have reached agreement on reduction of costs - we have had significant help from the FOTA teams.

"The objective is to get back to early 1990s (spending) levels within two years.

"We have reached agreement on cost cuts."

Formula One commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone declared he was "very happy common sense has prevailed"

The accord followed a meeting of 120 members of the FIA and came in the wake of weeks of bitter rowing between the two bodies which centred on proposed tough spending limits from next season.

Ahead of the meeting, Mosley had insisted that he would not step down as part of the price of any potential agreement but instead possible seek re-election.

The 69-year-old Briton, whose fourth term as president ends in October, has been under pressure amid the disagreements over the proposed swingeing budget cuts but after Wednesday was adamant on his position.

“I will not be up for re-election, now we have peace,'' Mosley stated, while denying he had been forced out and insisting the agreement was satisfactory to all parties and would provide stability.

“I can have a peaceful summer for the first time in three years. My departure was planned, agreed, arranged - all the staff have known for months but obviously I couldn't say it publicly because the moment you do you lose all your influence.

He added the reduction of costs over two years would in essence mean there was no budget cap as such, dubbing the process “a different way of doing the same thing.

“I always thought there wasn't much between us, now we've agreed there isn't.''

The Paris meeting was a clear-the-air opportunity for member clubs to hear from F1 teams about their threat to secede from the FIA and set up a rival series, a proposal which had led the FIA to prepare a legal claim against FOTA.

Writs against Ferrari and FOTA - which also includes McLaren, BMW Sauber, Renault, Toyota, Red Bull Racing, Toro Rosso and Brawn GP - had been due to be served on Monday, but the FIA held back pending Wednesday's meeting.

At issue for the would-be breakaway teams were FIA plans to push through maximum budgets of €45 million ($A79.79 million) per team - excluding driver wages and marketing costs - from 2010.

The breakaway threat had threatened to leave Formula One fighting for survival given the apparent huge gulf between big-money teams and the sport's cost-conscious rulers.

Mosley, pinpointing Ferrari as the ringleader of the rebel teams, had slammed the breakaway threat as "amounting to serious violations of law including wilful interference with contractual relations, direct breaches of Ferrari's legal obligations and a grave violation of competition law."

And he vowed that the FIA would "assert its legal rights."

One paddock insider had last weekend described the spat as being "as much a battle of egos as anything else."

Mosley appeared to have correctly sensed the outcome in suggesting at the weekend that "always with these things in the end, there is a compromise because they (FOTA) can't afford not to run in the Formula One world championship, and we would be very reluctant to have that without them."

He dismissed the whole row as largely comprising "posturing and posing."

Only independent teams Williams and Force India had accepted the new proposed budget caps framework, along with three new teams, USF1, Campos and Manor, as Formula One fought to avoid a 'financial arms race'.

Mosley said that new teams would receive help from existing ones in terms of chassis and engine development in order to help them become as competitive as possible as swiftly as possible.

The constructors have also agreed to maintain commercial agreements with Ecclestone at least through to 2012, Mosley revealed.

FOTA chairman, Fiat's Luca di Montezemolo, said that the FOTA teams had "asked for things which were fair and realistic" and welcomed the breakthrough.
Old 25-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Funny how even Max seems to see it as a win when the primary aim all along seems to have been to get rid of him???

Only in F1
Old 25-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Subaru Tech Division

saturation at standard level

tried to salvage his pride and look like hes come out on top. When in reality he backed himself into a corner and lost out.

Nevertheless goodbye Max and good riddance, will not miss you!
Old 29-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

CRUZMISL at standard level

What would F1 be without the off-track drama?

Quote:
Far from peace in our time, furious Max Mosley on Friday suggested FOTA's plans for a breakaway series may be back on.

Mosley interpreted the subsequent media coverage of the agreement as manipulated by Montezemolo and the eight rebel teams, keen to portray the deal as a successful coup that had resulted in victory as well as his head.

The 69-year-old wrote a letter to Ferrari's Montezemolo demanding a retraction and apology, but on Thursday the Italian instead issued a backhanded compliment by thanking Mosley "for his decision to leave the FIA in October".

Mosley, now openly rethinking his retirement, is reportedly also furious at FOTA vice-chairman John Howett's appeal to the World Motor Sport Council that it elect an "independent" president to succeed the incumbent.

He has now written another letter to the FIA member clubs, in which Mosley alludes to Howett's comments that "concern me greatly" and to Montezemolo who "did not keep his part of the bargain".

He accuses FOTA as being a body with "no sporting ethics" and "under the control" of the car manufacturing industry "we have constantly to monitor".
quoted from:
http://www.f1way.com/news/2009/June/...y-back-on-menu

Further info about Montezemolo and his "guiding" of the Italian press:
http://www.f1way.com/news/2009/June/...-deal-in-doubt

And now Mosley hits back:
http://www.f1way.com/news/2009/June/...ts-montezemolo
Old 29-06-2009, 07:33 PM