Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Gaming and Multiplayer
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-01-2009, 10:37 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level
Default Windows 7

Has anyone downloaded the Beta? I'm still on XP, i just never really liked Vista. Both my desktop and laptop are only a few years old, but Vista just ran vert slowly. Anyway I've heard Windows 7 is sort of like Vista version 2 but without the performance issues and with a few new bells and whistles. Has anyone trialled it? Does 7 have the same or similar hardware requirements as Vista?

Just found the specs:

1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor

1 GB of system memory

16 GB of available disk space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (to enable the Aero theme)

DVD-R/W Drive

Internet access (to download the Beta and get updates)

1Gb of RAM and a 1GB CPU?? Yeah right!

Last edited by perthzed; 16-01-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 16-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

There are a few guys I know running the beta on real low end spec machines and reporting success.

Hopefully MS have learned from the mistakes of Vista... but I doubt it.

I have the beta, but haven't had time to install it yet... Maybe next weekend.
Old 16-01-2009, 11:02 AM
STI Master

wannabox at standard level

Got it running in a VM, it is not too bad. Then again I don't know what people are winging about Vista is perfectly fine, I use it for my dev machine and would not go back to XP.

The answer to speed XP up is just ram I run 4GB and would like some more, but these days 2GB of ram is like 100 bucks so just load it up. I never had an issue with it at all and has run hitch free for me and I very rarely restart my machine too.

7 looks much better though and will be faster and have most of the crap that people complain about fixed. They say Vista was a mistake but from my point of view it works fine and is worlds ahead of XP any day.

Cheers

"Usually. Some guys can only dribble while others can shoot three pointers, so it might not make any difference how far they shoot. But in my case, it does."
Old 16-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Luigi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Luigi

Yeah have been running the 64bit version for a week now.

Installed a few games to test and doesn't seem to have any problems at all with them.

So far its runs a lot quicker and more responsive than Vista.
Old 16-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Flat Four Father

mr_psi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to mr_psi

windows 7 is much more responsive and the aero features are great and not so resource hungry.

the release date at the moment is november 2009.
Old 16-01-2009, 11:57 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabox
Got it running in a VM, it is not too bad. Then again I don't know what people are winging about Vista is perfectly fine, I use it for my dev machine and would not go back to XP.

Cheers
Well part of the problem is MS releasing the min specs for Vista which were complete bullshit. In fact I think there was a law suit in the US due to the fact companies were selling hardware with Vista ready stickers when they weren't even close to being powerful enough to run Vista. I'm sure if you have reasonable technical ability and a powerful machine you can get Vista running sweetly. But I don't think it's acceptable that you should have to up your RAM from say 500mb with XP to 2/3/4gb for Vista. I'm not a MS basher and I get really bored with people slagging of MS & I was really looking forward to Vista, but I've used it on brand new laptops and is very slow, especially in contrast to XP.
Old 16-01-2009, 01:36 PM
STI Master

wannabox at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed
Well part of the problem is MS releasing the min specs for Vista which were complete bullshit. In fact I think there was a law suit in the US due to the fact companies were selling hardware with Vista ready stickers when they weren't even close to being powerful enough to run Vista. I'm sure if you have reasonable technical ability and a powerful machine you can get Vista running sweetly. But I don't think it's acceptable that you should have to up your RAM from say 500mb with XP to 2/3/4gb for Vista. I'm not a MS basher and I get really bored with people slagging of MS & I was really looking forward to Vista, but I've used it on brand new laptops and is very slow, especially in contrast to XP.

You make a good point, my op pinion on this is probably not the best as I have done some tweaking etc to get mine running better, have high spec machine etc.

The min for Vista IMO is 2Gig I have 2.5 Gig in use ATM, and when I fire up some virtual machines which I need to do for work this will climb to twice that.

Windows 7 base on the other hand uses much less ram as a base and will be interesting to see how it runs when fully loaded.

"Usually. Some guys can only dribble while others can shoot three pointers, so it might not make any difference how far they shoot. But in my case, it does."
Old 16-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

What do you guys think about Windows 7 in a Corporate Environment? We have about 4500 machines across AUS/NZ and have bypassed Vista completely. We have about 200 Vista machines, however they are Tablet PC's for Sales Executives.

We will look at updating XP straight to Windows7.

Already running Server 2008.
Old 16-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

For those whinging about XP to Vista...

XP Released 2001
Vista Released 2007

So you haven't updated your hardware in 6 years? Anyone still using the original iPod (released 2001 also) or have they upgraded to the new technology?
Old 16-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Our fleet is all the latest HP Deskops, just image them from Altiris with an SOE XP image. Haven't had a business reason to undertake the massive job of going from XP to Vista.

Tags
windows