Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Gaming and Multiplayer
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

i'm using the Bob Lite as a modem router, and also Voip access
I'm not worried about the VOIP bit as i can get a separate unit to plug into the replacement modem

I like to use the unit to stream data across the house - nothing fancy like wireless HD access or printing. I've tried to use the plug in the wall fancy wireless signal exteded and gave me an single bar and that's no use to me still

As i said, house isn't big at all. But its old, built in 1901. I reckon the bricks are denser or something! the other option is the get a hard wire from bob and get a wireless router in another part of the house and bridge the wireless signal and also run a LAN from the router to the TV or whatever needs streaming
Old 23-06-2014, 08:55 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Goosey at standard level

Like one of the posters above me, I'm using the netgear dw6300, and have the same issue that the range is absolute garbage, however, for Ethernet connections it's proved to be great (thankfully 90% of my pc's connect this way).

I moved from a Belkin play-max which had nothing but issues. I was averaging an adsl 2+ speed of 3.2mb/s but after switching to the netgear, am achieving 4.4mb/s on average.

I had an old billion back in the day and it worked perfectly. Only switched to move to wireless n 300. Will probably get another next time.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
astralex likes this.
Old 23-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

As with what Goosey has said, I was mostly referring to wireless with the DW6300, hardwired was no problems. The lack of external antennae and solid brick (early 20th centur) house makes for difficult wireless without the antenna.
Old 23-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

dav_fre at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralex View Post
The AirPort Extreme is only a router, OP is after modem/router by the looks of it.

I have NakedDsl with iinet, so need to run the Bob Lite modem for the adsl connection.

Just plug your current modem (with its wifi turned off) in to the back of the AirPort Extreme and you have solved your problem and boosted your speeds.
Old 23-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

+1 For Billion routers.. Mine is still going strong after 3 years, love it!
Old 23-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Billion are better now than what they were about 5 years ago.
Unfortunately their official line of support for quite some time was to "update" the firmware.
Been using a Netgear DG834 (old but works perfectly and has been the most stable modem I've ever used) modem/router and a TP-Link wireless access point which is sitting behind the TV in the middle of the house.

Don't know why, but I'm not a huge fan of All In One hardware packages, if one thing fails, it pulls everything down with it.

Assuming you are on iiNet's on-net plans (Chime DSLAM) I would invest in a modem that features a broadcom chipset.
This will give you the greatest stability (independent of your lines attenuation and SNR on the downstream and upstream).
Slap Dash likes this.
Old 23-06-2014, 07:21 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Commercial/Enterprise, Cisco for lyfe.

Home, Billion are quite feature rich and simple to operate - but agree with Soksta.

If you're serious, not in a rented property etc, ideally run structured cabling and power dual/triple WAPs with the same SSID around your home on different channels, cabled back to a centralised switch, where your broadband is also terminating on a separate device again.

The new generation you speak of is 5Ghz .AC, but isn't good for penetrating walls/long distance, plus all of your access devices need to support the new standard to be able to use it.

If you don't want to go all out just get a decent 2.4/5Ghz unit and put it in the best possible location you can, up high, away from any electrical interference like microwaves, fridges.

A lot of people think more the better, not so with wireless. Often the WAPs end up "shouting" at one another until they are barely "speaking" at all, which makes it worse. So never put two WAPs next to one another on the same band. They have to be strategically located in commercial environments these days, often with a monitor WAP which oversees the rest of wireless.

Also have a look at some Ethernet Over Power products, which allows you to use your internal power cabling for data. You can plug a WAP into your power socket without needing to do the structured cabling.

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/?categoryid=206

Last edited by RichX; 23-06-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 23-06-2014, 07:41 PM

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
Also have a look at some Ethernet Over Power products, which allows you to use your internal power cabling for data. You can plug a WAP into your power socket without needing to do the structured cabling.
Not 100% on this (resident electrician/data cabler should be able to clear this up), but from memory it will only work on the same power circuit.
If you have the one PoE device at the front of the house (Power CCT 1) and one at the rear of the house (Power CCT2) it most likely won't work.

I actually a set of these floating around the place that I no longer use nor want, they can be made available to test if you (pmh) need them and if they work, you are welcome to keep them.

Last edited by Soksta; 23-06-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 23-06-2014, 07:44 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
Not 100% on this (resident electrician/data cabler should be able to clear this up), but from memory it will only work on the same power circuit.
If you have the one PoE device at the front of the house (Power CCT 1) and one at the rear of the house (Power CCT2) it most likely won't work.
This is correct - Personally I have avoided them and gone for the more expensive option and cabled the house in Cat6, but for simple operations on the same circuit i am led to believe they work well.

Having said that, found the below (in my limited experience with EoP devices)

Quote:
2. They will work on an entire circuit and multiple circuits that are on the same phase and behind the same Meter. Circuit breakers do nothing to degrade signal.
Maximum throughput we have seen is ~60Mb/s side by side, down to ~20Mb/s is typical in a house / small office. (this is about the same as Wireless G performance)

Last edited by RichX; 23-06-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 23-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

Thanks gents
Some of the stuff you speak off went over my head...but I have tried the PoE device, and no deal..still shit

So...would this be a better idea rather than investing in just another wireless router
And that is
Get a hard wire set up, ie connect from modem to near tv
Use a wireless router take off from hard wire
Use router to extend signal and also provide Ethernet connection to tv
Kept the modem wireless router Central to home and high point.
Between the wireless modem and wireless router/extender, that shoul cover the house - front and back so to speak?

I've move bloody bob so many times to find the sweet spot, no luck...and as high as I can
But unless I put another power point up near the ceiling I can't do much more - phucking high ceilings probably not helping

Thanks for the help gents

Tags
modem, router, suggestions, wireless