Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone purchased a car over east and driven it back? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/16227-anyone-purchased-car-over-east-driven-back.html)

Steve_Richards 07-11-2007 03:03 PM

My mate bought an 04 STI from SA and just did a transfer of ownership in SA, saying that he lived in SA (using the guy he bought it offs address) then just got it sent here and licensed it here.

teejay 07-11-2007 03:03 PM

To be insured in your name, car has to be transferred in your name right?

I dont think a NSW resident can transfer ownership and NSW rego to you, I know when I got my 31 from over east the owner had to de-rego it to get it into my name. Needed a permit to drive it from the TNT holding yard.

edit - based on steve post you could do it with a "temporary" nsw address, but most likely going to void insurance anyhow so kinda defeats the purpose.

I have a feeling you will need a temp permit from each state to drive it back to be honest. Get it trained over with insurance, save the hassle. Cost is going to be similar.

urabus 07-11-2007 03:08 PM

I bought a brand new truck from Melbourne because if I buy it here it takes 5 months to get the body build and if I buy it out of melbourne it take 5 weeks.

When I pick up the truck they are giving me a 14 day permit with which to drive home on. Because it is through the company as long as the permit is in my company name I will have insurance so I spose I am lucky there.

I am planning on driving it back in three days. I have some trucks the same and they will sit on 130 all day long. This one has more power but has a big ass trailer so we will see. Also paid to get a bull bar put on the thing.

Once I get back here I take it over the pits and pay stamp duty at the WA rate and get issued with WA plates.

Brendon

meatbag 07-11-2007 03:10 PM

i bought my old mans car from nsw and drove it over here, when it took it to get registered they told me i was actually driving an unregistered car the moment it came out of nsw. not a problem because you can always say your just driving a mates car who is holidaying. insurance is going to be a bitch though if you crash

rubasu 07-11-2007 03:16 PM

Hey I just did this exercise recently from SA. I was told by WA DPI to drive it back on the SA plates and re-register it in WA when the rego expired which turned out to be a load of rubbish.

Each of the states are like their own little independent flaming monarchy that rules its own kingdom

As soon as I notified SA that the car had been transferred because my drivers license is West Australian the car got deregistered (even in SA).

None of the ppl at DPI know how this works and as for the SA trans dept they are even worse!

I got back but was a bit of a drama getting this all sorted out.

Goodluck eh

BrennyV 07-11-2007 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=Smokey]So how did u insure it if you didnt "own" it?[/QUOTE]
took the risk ;)