Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone purchased a car over east and driven it back? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/16227-anyone-purchased-car-over-east-driven-back.html)

Smokey 07-11-2007 02:30 PM

Anyone purchased a car over east and driven it back?

According to DPI, if i purchase a vehicle over east and drive it back, it becomes unlicensed here the moment it enters the border (requiring temp movement permit).

Has anyone gone through this process? My main concern is whether I will need temporary movement permits in all the other states inbetween as well. Does NSW let you register the vehicle in NSW if you are a WA resident?

I have confirmed that I am not required to pay Stamp duty in perth if i have receipt for payment in NSW.

I am planning on ringing the RTA etc, however i think ive used up my daily allowance of annoying my coworkers with car related chatter :) Any help appreciated, cheers!

chee 07-11-2007 02:35 PM

Shouldnt do? As long as the rego plates are still good.

Kato 07-11-2007 02:35 PM

Interested in this too. Always considered buying a new car over east (and paying less stamp duty) then returning on a driving holiday.

Smokey 07-11-2007 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=Kato]Interested in this too. Always considered buying a new car over east (and paying less stamp duty) then returning on a driving holiday.[/QUOTE]

Something to note regarding insurance matters. RAC wont let you hang around with the car in the other state. You get 2 days before you have to make your journey home. Alternative is to insure it with an eastern states insurance company. However I havnt called any of them to see if they will insure it if the primary place of residence is perth....

BrennyV 07-11-2007 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=Smokey]it becomes unlicensed here the moment it enters the border (requiring temp movement permit).
[/QUOTE]
[font=Calibri][size=3]When I purchased a interstate vehicle I was told this would only happen on transfer of name. So i drove the car with nsw rego then transferred when I was ready :P[/size][/font]

Fozzy 07-11-2007 02:42 PM

I found when I looked into this I got three different stories from three different people at dpi..

I can not see how it become unregistered the moment if comes into WA as trucks, vans people holiday every day over here etc.. Thats like saying if they come to WA there car is unregistered..

Smokey 07-11-2007 02:42 PM

[QUOTE='[4MUFF]'][font=Calibri][size=3]When I purchased a interstate vehicle I was told this would only happen on transfer of name. So i drove the car with nsw rego then transferred when I was ready :P[/size][/font][/QUOTE]

So how did u insure it if you didnt "own" it?

Smokey 07-11-2007 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=Fozzy]I found when I looked into this I got three different stories from three different people at dpi..

I can not see how it become unregistered the moment if comes into WA as trucks, vans people holiday every day over here etc.. Thats like saying if they come to WA there car is unregistered..[/QUOTE]

The guy said that isnt the case for them, it only happens if you reside in Perth.

GX-REX 07-11-2007 02:51 PM

When i bought my car of ebay, it was licensed in nsw until november. This was in april last year. I had it trucked over and drove it around for about 6 weeks. I got done speeding in it in that time and the cop said nothing about that, he was just interested as to why i got it so cheap. When i put it over the pits it was all good until the indian looking guy there went to test drive it he wanted a permit. As far as i know, if you go to nsw you can license it in your name and then there is no issue. The only thing you may need is a nsw residence to put on the paperwork.

Smokey 07-11-2007 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=GX-REX]When i bought my car of ebay, it was licensed in nsw until november. This was in april last year. I had it trucked over and drove it around for about 6 weeks. I got done speeding in it in that time and the cop said nothing about that, he was just interested as to why i got it so cheap. When i put it over the pits it was all good until the indian looking guy there went to test drive it he wanted a permit. As far as i know, if you go to nsw you can license it in your name and then there is no issue. The only thing you may need is a nsw residence to put on the paperwork.[/QUOTE]

Its all happy times until some tard in an evo hits me from behind though and insurance says lol :)