Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

stilysh at standard level
Unhappy Sick car but subaru dont care

Gday

My car has been burning alot of oil and i took it to a subaru dealer and as my new car warranty was running out i had them "check" the problem. They topped the oil up to the correct level and sent me on my way to come back in a 1000kms and monitor if it was still loosing oil. I took the car back to them and i had lost 600ml in just over a 1000kms, which sounded kinda excessive. The service parts guy told me they would phone subaru and make them aware of the situation and get back to me. When they did the guy told me subaru said "that it is normal for a sti to lose that amount of oil and not to worry about it and bring it back to them for a service and she'll be fine attitude.

I phoned a few people afterwards and they also think it is most likely the piston rings. I am ringing back the subaru dealer to complain about the problem and if some of you can send me an email to raids69@hotmail.com just with your opinion on whether this is normal oil usage or just bullshit so i can have something in writing other than saying to subaru "he said this on the phone and he said that".

Thanks for your help

dustin
Old 04-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

u do realise that it wouldnt matter what joe blog says?

you need to get a professional opinion, ie a qualified subaru mechanic and if possible get them to chat with the subaru dealership at the same time

If your warranty has lapsed, i dont think you'll be able to do much.

which dealership was this? Ossie park and melvile are pretty good, normally.

Did u do any mods?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:31 PM

stilysh at standard level

Only exhaust that i have done. I bought it off Peel Subaru and they said it still had its new car warranty and was previously fitted with an exhaust. I called Mol (Evolution R) and Alex (RMS) and they both agreed that the oil use was not normal. I just wanted some more opinions from people on the forum whether they had experianced this problem or just if they thought 600ml was a bit excessive.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Sir AntiLag

Denver at standard level

The oil use does sound overly excessive, id get down to your local workshop of choice, and ask for a leak down, and compresison test to be performed, this will show up potential problems pretty quickly..

Holden had issues with the HSV line up using the LS1 motors, a large number of them have had motor swaps because of excessive oil useage..

600ml in 1000km is a lot of oil, effectively, in 5-6 thousand km, eg half the normal service time, you will have used all the oil and run the motor dry..

thats a _lot_ of oil consumption going on there..

Last edited by Denver; 04-10-2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

what type of engine is it?

Long live the WRC
Old 05-10-2005, 04:49 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

DooM at standard level

i had the same problem,

they simply blame it on mods, my engine packed up previously and i had the exact same problem from day 1, im guessing ur dealing with melville subaru.

they tell ya its normal to brun that much oil and send you on your way. if possible, get your a standard exhaust and test it with the standard exhaust,

get a engineer involved and get some investigation done,

my warranty lapsed, my engine went and i was left with the bill to do the whole procedure.

Lazzo gotsis from subaru aus will come down and see you and tell you its ur exhaust and put it back on you.
get them to put it in writting and get compression tests done.

make sure you are there with them everytime they top up ur engine oil, so you can see how much goes in not how much they say.

when my engine blew and car was takin back in, they topped up the engine oil while the car was fucked, and i know it was bone dry, put simply fuck subaru melville - i would never get them to service my car specially melville!

put lightly u cant do much.

good luck tho

Last edited by DooM; 05-10-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

I could of guessed it would have been Peel subaru.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:41 PM

Skrappy at standard level

Steady on Doom...

I guess some people have good experiances and get lucky whilst others have crap expericances.

Subaru melville have rebuilt my gearbox for me even though the main reason for breaking was tough wear. They have also put on new sensors and changed a few bearings whilst I have a turbo-back exhaust on. They have done nothing but treat me well although it seems obvious that they certainly do not like looking after modifed cars.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

DooM at standard level

Skrappy,

not trying to upset ya,

but at the time the extent of the "Modifications" where a 3 inch exhaust a blowoff valve and a air pod,

not to mention some apprentice serviced the car minus 5 Litres of Oil!

so take it as you like, quality checks weren't in place when they phoned me to pick the car up like that!

r

LD
Old 05-10-2005, 06:50 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

mingin at standard level

Okay, I work for a dealership, and it's time to let you in on a SAD SAD fact... for a non-turbo Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5 litre, say CE 96-2003 model, manufacturer specifications for oil consumption, normal oil consumption i believe is approx. 600ml per 1000km. Therefore at a normal supplementary service interval of 7500km, your car could use 4.5 litres of oil. Last time I checked thats less than what a 1.5 Lancer holds.
There's always a loophole. If you go about it the right way though, you will get what you want, if of course it's not glaringly obvious there is a reason (like a leak, or a modded engine)
I'd hate to see what normal consumption specs are for a turbo engine.
Could it be the turbo leaking oil? Not necessarily rings... Could be valve stem seals. Either way, if it's getting towards end of warranty, try your best, do what you can, but make sure you have the right answers. If you bought the car second hand, they will probably say that the previous owner must have thrashed it. What can you say to that???? Not much.

Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of bad news... Good Luck, i hope it works out for you.

Tags
car, care, sick, subaru