Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Using a cap without upgrading the battery or alternator will put more pressure on your already weak electrical system. If anything, just put a good after market battery (around $400) in there with good grounding and many of the problems should be solved. You will have probably no light flickering and your system power output and (in extreme cases) even system sound quality may improve as a result of plenty of 'clean' power being supplied to it. In addition, you pave the way for even more powerfull components being added (to the degree where an extra battery in the boot for the subs only will be needed).

Why do you not need a cap? Because a capacitor gets its power from where? the battery! and if your stock battery is already running flat-tack providing power to the important car electricals (eg the airbag sensors-yep these are important) then placing the stress on it of running additional power to amps which then put out around 1,000WRMS of power (by the looks of things) will just want to kill it.

A capacitor stores a charge of power for those big sub hits (eg when the system is cranked and there is a bass drum hit) so that instead of the power having to come all the way from the battery in the front of the car, then to the amp, then to the sub, it is already there at the capacitor; centimeters away from the sub. HOWEVER, if your battery is stock, then it is made with just enough power to run what is in the car from factory. Gotta cut costs somewhere hey? an aftermarket battery, however, is made with one thing in mind: making good power for big electrical systems.

If you have a cap now, all you're doing is placing more stress on your battery because a cap continually takes a charge from the battery, stores it, discharges it in one big hit (bass drum)and then sucks more from the battery again, ready for the next big hit. An upgraded battery, with the sort of system power you have, will do more than enough. Upgrading your earth wires as well (really meaning cleaning the connections and making sure wires are in ok nick) will make a difference when combined with a good battery.

If you plan to run a hell of a lot of power (think a 2000wrms+ sub) then an extra battery in the boot specifically for the sub is recommended.

Capacitor debates are raging around the world in all different forms - from 'do you need them?' to they 'colour' the music?'. many MANY industry experts say that all it takes is a good battery to power your music appropriately and you won't need a cap at all.
If there's any info you want to know, caraudioaustralia.com (now know as http://mobileelectronics.com.au/) will sort you out. use the search function!

Hope it helps
ALEX

PS: as for an alternator.. go in and talk to the experts at a RESPECTABLE car audio shop. Not Strathfield, i mean something like Alberts car Stereo (Cannington are very reputable, but they're all good). Alternator upgrades I think come after you fit a better battery and do all you can from that point of view.. but i'm not sure on that area.

PPS: to drive my point home about caps, i know many people who run 5,000watts RMS of power through their car when listening ot music (haha for 10 seconds mind you) and there is not a dulling internal light/headlight to speak of. it's batteries and wires ;-)

Again, hope it helps

Last edited by R R8D REX; 30-12-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 30-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral
....and I am the pissed singstar legend!!

Please feel free to demonstrate at motorvation
Old 30-12-2007, 04:16 PM
STI Master

feral at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby2006
Please feel free to demonstrate at motorvation
na mat's going to dress up for it in drag then show us his routine on the pole ha ha , chris you could join him lol
Old 30-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral
na mat's going to dress up for it in drag then show us his routine on the pole ha ha , chris you could join him lol
Well, thats one way to clear away the crowds

Tags
feral, project